Where the River Flows


So it's early morning and here's the truth about me: I need a vacation. Seriously. I've been reading Robin Gunn's book Under a Maui Moon over the past few days and dreaming about the beach. Living in Colorado, sometimes you can start to miss the ocean because there just aren't any beaches close enough to go to. It can feel dry out here and suddenly you're just dying for rain or ocean. Here's the unfortunate truth: There is no beach in my immediate future. Maybe a spray tan, but no beach. But here is the good news, Virginia is in my future. And a change of scenery sounds great to me.

I've been working on book projects nonstop for months now and really need just a few days of down time. Plus, the home repair projects are making us a little nuts over here. Jeff and I both really wanted to paint our kitchen cabinets, so this weekend was the weekend we started. I have to say that Jeff has done 95 percent of the work because someone has to watch Ash and Jeff doesn't really want me breathing in paint fumes. Anyway, it's turned out to be a major project. There are cabinets drying everywhere in our house and garage, and the countertops are full of stuff since the cabinets have been emptied. And all that stuff is covered in plastic, and this morning I realized that there was not one clean spoon to be found.

So we're going nuts and everything won't be put back together till at least tomorrow. Did I also mention that our new house has a broken dishwasher? I know. Kill me now. Tragic. It's part of the reason why there are no clean spoons. So I'm currently planning to buy a dishwasher . . . um, I don't know, but I'm thinking this afternoon. Right. Either that or I'm going to the store and buying paper plates and cups and plastic utensils. So here's the question. What do you do when what you're longing for is absolutely out of reach for the moment? (Like the beach). I'm thinking at this moment that I'll settle for a river. Maybe I can get Jeff to take me to a river soon. That sounds manageable. But seriously, people have wishes and dreams that are put on hold and that's just life. What do you do to get through it? All I can think of is that you find a river. Something that will carry you through until that wish can be fulfilled. And sometimes I think it carries you farther than you thought it would. Or just enough. A river and Virginia are in my future, people. I can do this.

No comments

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!