Thanksgiving and a little bit of crazy

So, you must know that Thanksgiving just happens to coincide with lots of craziness. I'm talking, of course, about those sleep-deprived shoppers. Isn't it funny that one minute we're all having a spirit of thankfulness for anything and everything--and a couple of hours later we're racing to frantically buy anything and everything? I know. It's neither here nor there. So, yes, I was one of the crazies out there at midnight. I don't know why, but it's fun to be with all the other crazy people for some reason. I left the house just a little before 10:00--thinking I'd hit the stores before things got nuts. Nope. Every parking spot was taken and people were following people in the parking lot to get their shopping carts since there weren't any left inside! I'm happy to say that despite being there in the middle of the frenzy, I didn't buy tons of stuff I didn't need or want. Though I did find myself standing in line for a while before I realized I had no idea what the line was for. Those kinds of moments are to be expected when you're Black Friday shopping, however. I was at Kohl's around midnight and had a handful of things I wanted to get. Until I realized that 20 minutes after opening, the check-out lanes were wrapped around the store! Seriously! I had to abandon ship and just go home at that point.

Jeff had to return something today that wasn't working, and he said that the shopping carts full of returns were shocking. One of the cashiers told him that after buying so much last night, people came back all throughout the day to return stuff that they realized they don't need or can't really afford. I went back out today, but the lines were still crazy until later in the afternoon. I waited in line forever at a store at the outlet mall. One of the ladies behind me was trying to just hand over cash for a pair of socks and take off, but no, she had to wait like the rest of us. And she was not happy.

So, it's been a long day. But it finally feels like the holiday season has arrived. There's Christmas music on the radio, we've had the first round of turkey and dressing, and I've watched Miracle on 34th St. Lovely. I took Ashtyn shopping with me this afternoon. She's a big fan of yogurt-covered pretzels. She'd had some for lunch before we left the house. And she proceeded to tell me over and over while we were out that we really needed to go home and eat more pretzels. She said this with such desperation. Today, my little Ashtyn is thankful for pretzels. We watched Tangled tonight. If you've seen that movie, you know that there's a song they sing about having a dream. Ashtyn was twirling around and singing and then she came over to me and said, "Mommy, what's your dream?"

Before I had time to even think, I scooped her up and told her, "Ashtyn is my dream. You're my dream come true."

Isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about? I think so. I feel doubly blessed this year since we've got our little Lincoln as well as little Miss Ashtyn. :) Happy Thanksgiving, everybody. Let's be thankful for all our blessings.

2 comments

  1. Love this; love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!