Me and Mr. Darcy

What do you do when you have a sudden rush of sadness? I'm asking the question, but I think we all know the answer. It's obvious. You need a little Mr. Darcy in your life. Let me just say up front that I'm not a huge fan of sad movies. I can take them in small doses, but I'm more of a happy-movie watcher. Today, that old movie Awakenings with Robin Williams was on TV and even amid tons of distraction, I got hooked into it. By the end, I was crying as I held Lincoln and listened to Ashtyn pretend to take a shower in Mardi Gras beads. And after watching something sad and subsequently feeling sad, I had this need for a movie to make me happy. And so, I pulled my default movie out of the black thing (that's what Jeff and I call our cabinet where we keep our DVDs--we were just never quite sure what to call it since it's kind of a random piece of furniture; so we started refering to it as the black thing and it stuck). Anyway, soon Colin Firth was on the TV screen, saying things like, "I've been meditating on the pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in a pretty woman can bestow" and such, and I started feeling better. How watching a movie that includes a Mrs. Bennet can make me feel better is a mystery of life, but it does.


I've got my go-to movies that I just need to watch sometimes. And I've got my go-to books that I need to read sometimes. You know what I mean? Do you have go-to movies or books that you fall back on? Something you immediately gravitate to when you need comfort for whatever reason? I think I even have go-to foods. What would be on your go-to list? I bet if you made a list, and stepped back and looked at it, you'd see yourself. Because all the things you like are part of what make you, you. Or me, me. I could probably come up with Jeff's list pretty easily because after being with him for 13 years (married for 9) I know what his likes and dislikes are. Here's just a tiny glimpse of my go-to list--what's on yours?


1. Pride and Prejudice (BBC version)
2. Heavier Things by John Mayer (love, love, love this CD)
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (book, of course--though I love the movies, too)
4. Convenience-store cappucino (I can't tell you how much I love that English Toffee stuff)
5. Christmas music (for some reason, it always calms me when I'm stressed!)


Oh, you want a glimpse of Jeff's go-to list, too? :)
1. ESPN
2. AMP energy drinks
3. Rocky


There you have it.

2 comments

  1. Oh the joy of a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, we are definitely kindred spirits. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!