Start Strong, End Frazzled

Today was one of those days. The 'start strong' kind, where you leave on time for work, your hair is cooperating and you like your outfit, you don't get mad even though you have to stop to fill up with gasoline (and you normally hate that), the view of the mountains is gorgeous, "Good Life" by OneRepublic is on the radio and you turn it up extra loud, and you basically feel good about the day, despite the wind that usually drives you crazy.

But somehow by tonight, I was exhausted. All the crying and pulling on me was wearing me down. Jeff called to say he'd be home late. There didn't seem to be five straight minutes of silence. There's something wrong with the downstairs bathroom and there's water all over the floor. I felt everything unraveling when I was trying to eat dinner while also trying to force Ashtyn to eat anything and having to hold Lincoln at the same time because he's in a new 'cry if I'm not held' phase. Jeff keeps telling me to just let him cry now and then. But hearing lots of crying does not add to an already-lacking-peace-and-quiet evening, and does not help a mom whose last nerve is fraying.

Yes, one of those days, friends. Luckily, Jeff came home and immediately kissed me for ten seconds. This is our new thing. I forget where I read it, but somewhere I read that you should kiss your partner for at least ten seconds straight every day. You'd be surprised how intentional you have to be to work this in. But it really helps! Try it! Though be warned, it doesn't always work when frazzled mom is, well, frazzled. But today, it worked.


*Kid update. So tonight while I was cooking, Linc was in his crib and I could hear through the monitor that he'd just started crying. Ashtyn started telling me over and over that, "Lincoln's crying, Mommy! He's crying!" I told her that I knew it and I'd be up there in a second and would she like to go check on him. It turns out that Ashtyn has less tolerance for crying than I do (at least when it's coming from Lincoln). About a minute later, I can hear the two of them through the monitor. He's not crying and Ashtyn is chattering away. Wonderful. I'm wondering how she did it. So after about five minutes, I go upstairs to check on them. Linc is in the crib, holding a toy and kicking his legs in the air like usual. Ashtyn is also in the crib, under his blankets, saying how tired she is. They are happy as can be in there together and I stood there and smiled a real smile.

6 comments

  1. Awww, what a sweet big sister. Izzy does the same with Zayne and no matter how bad my day, their sweet love for each other melts my heart. And OMGness! Jeff sounds just like Josh...he is always telling me to let Zayne cry a little now and then, but like you I can't bear it sometimes. I hate going to him after and seeing those sad little eyes. I'm a softy to a fault. :{ On days, such as these, I tell myself that one day I'll wish they were this little and needy again. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Letting them cry is so hard! For one, it can make you nuts. But you're right. They grow so fast.

      Delete
  2. You are such a good mom! I am going to have to try that kissing thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abs. And definitely try the kissing thing. It's a nice addition to any day. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my lanta. How precious!!!! Ash is such a good big sister :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's only one girl I know who says 'Oh my lanta.' Love you, girl!

      Delete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!