These Boots Were Made for Walkin

Okay, here's the deal: Are marathons becoming a major trend for moms? I think maybe. I have friends doing marathons, and it seems like lots of the mom blogs I frequent are talking about marathons and running and getting places fast and all that jazz. This is a problem for me. We've talked about my easily influenced self--but, people, I can't join this craze. I just can't. Not long ago I decided I could be a runner. So I took off outside for a run. It felt great for about nineteen seconds. Three houses down, I turned around and went home, hoping I'd survive until I could get there and drink a Diet Dr Pepper. When Jeff got home later, I told him I'd gone for a run that day. He was super impressed and asked me how far I got. I said, "You know that house like three doors down?" He frowned. "That's not really a run, Bran." Um, yes it was. My legs moved fast and I couldn't breathe.

I decided I'm not runner material. I think it's cool that people are, and I sort of wish I could magically have the stamina to do such things, but I think I'll stick to my exercise bike that sits comfortably in the air condition in front of the TV, near the bookshelf. Time goes by faster for me if I'm watching The Good Wife or reading The Hunger Games.

Maybe the purpose in running is the goal of accomplishing something. Or finishing something you've started. I'm not sure. But unless there's something really wonderful like birthday cake at the end of the finish line, I don't think I'm going to get there. And I'm absolutely okay with that. I just start singing to myself, "These boots were made for walkin'. And that's just what they'll do." I have other things on my bucket list. I want to see a frozen waterfall. I feel like this should be easy for me since I live in Colorado. But it hasn't happened yet. Maybe next year. It's going to happen.

*Kid update: I'm trying to start Linc on rice cereal. He just spits it back out and smiles. We're getting nowhere with this, but the girl at the daycare tells me to keep trying. Ashtyn is waking up during the night and since she no longer has the paci, we have to get up to comfort her. Very tragic for us. I'm looking like a Cullen with dark circles under my eyes.

5 comments

  1. I DO love The Hunger Games!!! & you know i LOVe to run.. but I can understand NOT joining that Band wagon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber! That's right, you're a runner. :) You go girl! And I am so excited about the Hunger Games movie!

      Delete
  2. That pic of Lincoln! I can't work that's so freakin cute! How do you not tickle that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! He's adorable. Last night I stood by his crib for forever in the dark because he was holding my arm like a doll and I couldn't bring myself to make him let go. :)

      Delete
  3. From 6th grade all the way until I was a senior in high School I ran long distance in track and as an adult...I hate running. So I'm with you Brandy...running is not for me. My daughter ran her first triathalon almost 2 years ago and her husband does them frequently...I told them they were insane!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!