Doctors, Roses, and a Little Bit of Screaming

So yesterday Jeff told me to call first thing in the morning to make a doctor's appt. for Lincoln. His runny nose situation had developed into raspy sounds and a bad cough. (I'm thinking Ashtyn's runny nose is just a part of her DNA at this point.) So I got an appointment for the afternoon and was having an altogether pretty good day. Ashtyn ate a peanut butter sandwich and peaches for lunch and I was feeling like a great mother for actually getting my daughter to eat a piece of fruit. Good times. I start calling Jeff soon before doctor time, who doesn't answer. This makes me nuts. I know he had a meeting but still. I called his assistant and told her to please tell him I'm stalking him and to call me soon. He's still out at his meeting. Okay. So one hour before the appointment time, both kids have finally fallen asleep. Perfection, I know. Why does this happen? I have to wake them both up (not good at all) and load everyone and everything in the car, get to the doctor's office, unload everyone and everything--all the while continuing to stalk Jeff and get nowhere with it. I am juggling Ashtyn who is crying out for me not to leave her (As if. I am really a paranoid parent) along with Lincoln and the carseat and my purse and the diaper bag. Sometimes during these kinds of moments I feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience. Watching some other frazzled woman.

Anyway. We get to the room after weighing Lincoln and all that and Ashtyn has to go to the bathroom. Really? I track down the nurse and tell her this and then take both of my kids to the bathroom, asking another nurse to hold Lincoln for me for a sec. Great. Done. Back to the room. Jeff calls finally to tell me he can't make it to the appointment. Grrr. The doctor comes in (guy I've never met) and starts checking out Linc. Ashtyn apparently doesn't hear me tell her to sit in the chair a dozen times. So she's everywhere while I'm talking to the doctor. Then out of the corner of my eye, I see her hand raising. I look down just as Ashtyn's innocently reaching up to touch the doctor's shiny belt buckle. I yell and pull her back just in time and he's jumping back and looking pale and I'm apologizing. He leaves quickly after that. I'm calling out, asking him if he's coming back (hello, the visit just started, my kid is sick, etc.). All I see is his head popping around the door as he assures me he'll be back soon. Okay. Fine. Ashtyn is hiding behind the chair, telling me she has to go to the bathroom again.

Really? I have to take her to a different bathroom, while juggling Lincoln who is only in his diaper and really unhappy. We get to the bathroom. I have to strap Linc on the changing table. He starts to scream. Ash decides she doesn't want to go to the bathroom and starts screaming. It was so loud in that bathroom that I know everyone in the building heard us. I am sweating and wishing this actually was an out-of-body experience. We go back to the room. I give Ashtyn her third sucker. The nurses come in and give my poor Lincoln three shots. I pack up everyone and go to the car, turn on the air conditioner full force, and wait for a second to see if I'm going to cry. Nothing happens. Good. I can do this. We get the prescription filled and go home. Hopefully my little guy will be feeling better soon.
Doctor visits. Sheesh. Talk about work! They completely stress me out.
Jeff walks through the door that night with a dozen pink roses. Such a smart husband. I can't help but love him. :)

11 comments

  1. Ahhh, a day in the life of a mom with littles -- good times! I remember that well, having had three children in four years.

    Your husband's not smart, he's brilliant.

    A prisoner of hope,
    Megan DiMaria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan! It was definitely the right choice on Jeff's part!

      Delete
  2. Oh man. YES. Doctor's appointments with two kids are just, wow. They can be VERY stressful. I hope your kiddo is feeling better soon!

    p.s. your post made me sweat a little ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Molly, I came home, opened the pantry, desperate for something chocolate. The only sweet thing I could find was honey, so I stood in front of the pantry and ate . . . oh, about half a jar of honey for comfort.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! Been there, done that (but with 3 kids)... At the grocery store, the clothing store, doctors office, anywhere there is a lot of people looking at you, etc., etc. I feel your pain my friend, but also find comfort in the fact that its not only me that goes through all of that too. I hope little man gets better soon. Love and miss you! Oh yeah, and extra brownie points for Jeff! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going anywhere with little ones is so hard! I refuse to go to the grocery store. Jeff and I take turns.

      Delete
  4. Oh why are the doctors appts so hard when they are sick! I always wanted Mick to come with. I think he only made it to the one where Ellie broke her arm... And 3 shots?! I always cry when the shots are involved. Way to go! Wish we could be there to help. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandy, that is hilarious and sad and great! I have been there. It could be 20 degrees out and I'm pouring sweat, wondering what everyone must be thinking of my complete inability to handle my own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great telling of an all-to-common & shared experience. :)
    That Jeff is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah! I know, I think bad doctor visits with kids is something every mom goes through one time or another!

      Delete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!