Monday, Monday

Do you ever feel like you can run and run (or ride and ride) or whatever and not lose one single pound? Why is that? Here's another example: I go up and down the stairs in our house approximately two jillion times a day. And still, I get out of breath doing it. I mean, sometimes I'm carrying two kids so that doesn't help. But still. I'm pretty sure I don't burn a single calorie from my stair-climbing. Here's another frustration with all this. When I'm on my exercise bike, I know exactly how many calories I'm burning. So I can nearly die on that thing for an hour and burn maybe 300 calories. And while that does make me feel good--in the back of my head I'm thinking, That only covered two muffins at breakfast!

All that sort of makes you just want to give up, you know? So you do (I mean I do) and have two pieces of lemon pie and then start all over again tomorrow. It's an ongoing battle, I guess. One I only choose to fight every few days. I know it's a harder struggle for some women than others. (And that's not fair!) I've got girlfriends who've had babies and still look like they're teeny tiny teenagers. (Really not fair.) And girlfriends who've battled this out. Gosh, having babies just does crazy things to your body! Things get squishy and . . . um . . . yeah, they change. We'll leave it at that. For myself, everything went back to normal much faster after Ashtyn's birth than they did after Lincoln's birth. About three months post-birth with Linc, I sort of kicked it into high gear and did what I needed to do to get back into my old clothes. (And still, some clothes I had to say farewell to. Brown skirt, I loved you but you're out of my life forever now.)

But I'm finding that the more retro I get (see last post) the harder it is to stay where I want to weight-wise. I know it's doable; it's just a matter of finding balance. I'm not the kind of girl who can give up lemon pie entirely and be ecstatic over yogurt. (I mean, I like yogurt--I like lemon-pie flavored yogurt--but I like the real thing even better.) I think we need balance all over the place actually. Time for the kids, time for ourselves, time for the husband. A little water, a lot of Diet Dr. Pepper. Fruit and veggies, Blue Bell ice cream . . . balance, people.

*Kid update. Ash is now in the habit of saying, "I've got to finish!" This is code for "I'm going to take forever so just wait." I'm hearing it a lot. I'm trying rice cereal again with Lincoln. Keeping the spoon in his mouth helps keep him from spitting it back out. But eating with a spoon in your mouth doesn't really work either--so it's a work in progress.



8 comments

  1. thanks for the comment on my blog! yours is so cute, i am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ashley!! :)

      Delete
  2. After my I had my oldest I bounced right back. Now it gets harder after each child. I'm dreading what I'm going to have to do after I deliver this baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking that same thing--I definitely want more kids but what will the squishy factor be like after that? I have to admit though, I think they're worth the squishy factor. :)

      Delete
  3. I had Samirah 2 months ago yesterday. I have been trying to eat healthy since. I want to lose weight. As much as I run around, I figured that was good for exercising.. nope. I feel like I am not losing anything. AND I even took soda out of my life. *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took soda out of your life? You have more self-control than I do! But be encouraged! Two months is the perfect starting point. I was crying to my OBGYN about everything and she was telling me that it took 9 months to gain all this weight, I've got to give myself that much time to lose it.

      Delete
  4. hey gal thanks for stopping by my blog!! i'm your newest follower and can't wait to learn more about ya!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks, Steph. I'm excited to hop over to your blog too!

      Delete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!