Y3W - Read to Me

I am linking up with Jenni for Your Three Words. (I am loving this link-up thing. Saves me from having to think of ideas of what to write about.)
So, my three words are Read to Me. I am a reader, people. You may have guessed this by the fact that I'm a book editor by profession. Jeff is amazed that I can find time to read amid raising kids, keeping house, having emotional meltdowns, chasing book-project deadlines, juggling a commute, and um . . . blogging. But reading is like breathing to me and I've got to do it. So it surprises me that I'm not better at reading to Ashtyn. I do try. But her listening skills are still very much a work in progress. So usually by page two, she's taking the book from me and saying, "Let me do it, Mama," and proceeds to point out all the colors on the page or count certain things on the page or tell me what she thinks is happening. And me getting frustrated and saying, "NO, listen," and then reading about Raggedy Ann's Leaf Dance feels silly. So at this point we read sometimes but it's usually her flipping pages and talking. And that's okay, I suppose. More than anything, I want her to love books. So I'm thinking we'll just go at her own pace. Right now she loves just looking but doesn't have the patience for a whole story. I absolutely loved when my mom read to me as a child. My favorite book was The Story of Poppyseed. Ashtyn loves the Berenstain Bear books (so do I).

As for my own nightstand stack of books, it's overflowing. I'm re-reading Wither as I wait for the sequel Fever. I'm part of a book club that's reading The Last Lecture. I've got The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and Birthmarked and Juliet Immortal. Yes, I'm a reader, people. What about you? Do you like to read? If so, what are you reading right now?

4 comments

  1. I love to read too and I'm so glad that my 9 year old loves reading too. I'm hoping my 16 month old son will love it as well but he's truly a boy so we'll see what happens.

    P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christel! I'm so glad you stopped by! :)

      Delete
  2. I love to read! Although, sadly, I don't read enough. Currently, i'm reading The Hunger Games (like the rest of the blogging world), but I really love historical fiction! I have at least 10 books on my nightstand :)

    Hope you have a great week!

    Bailey
    http://lostandfound-bailee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bailey! I'm basically obsessed with the Hunger Games. But I'm a fan of historical fiction too! Love it!

      Delete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!