Other People's Stuff

So here's the truth, loveys. I'm pretty sure I embarrassed the Jeffster today. In fact, he'll tell you I did. Here's the deal--you tell me if you would have done the same. So I'll begin by saying we don't have the friendliest neighbors. They all seem like nice people, just the kind that don't wave or say hello or acknowledge that you moved in right by them. But they seem happy enough over at their houses.

So we were very familyish this morning and took Ash and Linc to the park. Later Jeff was trying to kill the one million ants that will not leave our driveway no matter what we do. (We're talking terminator ants that will not die. It's making us crazy.) The kids were both taking naps and I was about to leave to meet Sara. So I go outside to tell Jeff I'm ready to go when I see this twin-size white bed frame across the street. It's really cute and looks perfect and has sort of the sleigh look about it, which I like. And it's sitting in front of our neighbor's house with a sign on it that says FREE. So I nonchalantly walk over there and look at it and really like it, so I dash back to Jeff (still killing ants) and tell him that the bed is really cute and free and I want him to come look at it. He doesn't want to obviously. Because killing ants is suddenly way more interesting. But I bug him about it so he walks across the street and takes about two seconds to look at it and come back.

I want that bed. Really, how can something free be a bad investment? Jeff explains to me that this is basically like us taking something from their trash. Which is completely wrong. For one, it's in perfect condition. I tell him that I'll just knock on their door and ask if we can have it, since that seems better than just carting it away (even though they obviously want someone to take it. They made a sign!). Jeff agrees.

No one answers the door.

But it's going to take both of us to carry the bed across the street. Since I am determined, Jeff is now determined to do this as fast as possible. As we're carrying it across the street, I ask Jeff, "Are you embarrased about this?"

His answer, "Yes."

Once it's safe in our garage, Jeff decides to kill yellow jackets in the backyard now. (Hmm.) I go back to close our garage door and see that our neighbors have just gotten home. We pretty much got the bed in the nick of time to spare Jeff even more humiliation.

Side note* So Sara and I went out for yogurt together this afternoon. (Sara is my skinny, gorgeous, health-conscience sister. I am . . . well, a little less health conscience.) As we're standing at the checkout, I'm noticing the major differences in our bowls of yogurt. (In case you're wondering, those are brownie bites, cheesecake bites, and crushed Andes mints on mine. Sara basically has a fruit salad.)

19 comments

  1. SCORE! I love it. Those are the best deals. Not to mention we have giant cabinet out front with a FREE sign on it as I type...
    Tell Jeff "Well done." Very little dignity lost for the sake of good decor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, so you've got the free-stuff going on too! Awesome! If you see your neighbors scuttling away with it as fast as possible, just pretend not to notice. :)

      Delete
  2. Literally it's like you described my life haha. I made my husband drive his truck to a house in our neighborhood because they had a FREE play kitchen at the end of their driveway. He was so embarrassed he took the name tape off his uniform "just in case." HELLO IT'S FREE - do you want me to go BUY one because I def would do that too:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heeheehee! Love it! Glad I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  3. lol! I would have done the exact same thing :) and Clay would have been embarrassed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff was definitely embarrassed. At the moment, I have no idea what I'm going to do with the bed, but seriously, it's so cute and in perfect condition! People sell that stuff on Craigslist all the time!

      Delete
  4. I haven't taken anything from the neighbors trash (yet), but one of my former neighbors (not the friendliest either) gave me several ride on toys and a Winnie the Pooh chair for my son that they were not successful selling at their garage sale. Very nice, except that brings the total "vehicles" Tommy has to about 42...he takes up the other half of our 2 car garage with them all! And we don't need them all! He literally walked over one day while I was outside with Tommy and said, "hey, these are for him when he's older...I'll put them in your garage," and put them in the open garage. Nice of him to think of us, but it's now more stuff I have to hold onto. I had already gotten several hand me downs from my nieces and nephew of these things. The Pooh chair is cute, but old and faded (dirty), but Tommy saw it so I had to scrub it down and it is in our living room. I"m planning to have a garage sale myself soon so I'm hoping to ditch the freebies since we honestly don't need them. May as well make some money for storing them! Otherwise they'll end up with a FREE sign on them now that the neighbor who gave them to me has moved! And I won't begrudge anyone taking them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Suze, that is hilarious! 42 kid cars!

      Delete
    2. Okay, I'm probably exaggerating a little with that number, but honestly, it's in double digits between wagon, push car, tricycle, etc. We have some hanging with bungee cords on the one side of the garage so there is room to walk...and for the garbage and recycling!

      Delete
    3. That stuff piles up so fast! Kids toys just seem to multiply. Sometimes I feel like I live in a daycare center.

      Delete
  5. Haha so did you ever tell the neighbors that you took it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but they can for sure see it every time our garage door opens!

      Delete
  6. ha ha ha! How funny. Sounds like you had a successful weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  7. I would have totally taken the bed too AND my yogurt would have looked like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha sounds like my husband. He usually says 'At least wait until its dark!'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi-larious! And so something I would have done!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!