Fire on the Mountain . . . Oh and Polygamy


So, I've said before that I usually don't like most reality TV. I can't stand awkwardness and would rather things be fake and scripted (that probably describes a lot of reality TV, but you know what I mean). Anyway, I have sort of gotten hooked on Sister Wives though. Probably because I was also hooked on Big Love and that's over now and SW is just sort of the real version of Big Love. Anyway, do you guys watch SW? What do you think? It's fascinating (not quite to the 'train wreck' status). I'm not a fan of polygamy myself (and it's against the law, people!). And I know I could never ever live that lifestyle. But when I think of polygamy, I've always thought of compounds and women with long braids and Little House on the Prairie clothing and scary men who marry little girls and think they have a divine calling to be creepy.

But Kody and the wives seem pretty normal and I spend more time than I should watching Janelle's son tour colleges and the sister wives go out to lunch. That's the thing about lots of reality TV! You sit there for an hour and then you're like, Did I really just spend an hour watching the two youngest daughters on that Kardashian show stain the carpet and then try to clean it up? Really?

Anyway, I watched the season finale of Sister Wives (which had the gripping storyline of the son touring two colleges) and then the Sister-Wives Tell All interview afterward. I am so getting the book ASAP. It's crazy. Janelle was married to Meri's brother before she married Kody? What? How did I not know that? I honestly don't know how those women live that way. They kiss their husband good night before he heads off to the next wife's house! But I guess if you're raised that way, it's normal to you. Still, does it not bother them? Really? Some of the things those women were sharing and talking about right in front of each other . . . wow, they must have really thick skin. I was really glad to hear some of the teenage girls say that they're not going to go that route (it's way more unfair for the girls). But one of the daughters absolutely wants to live that way! I found that surprising.

So, for those of us crazies who watch it, who's your favorite wife? I lean toward Janelle. She seems pretty laid back and less weepy or mean.

Moving on to real stuff. There's fire on the mountain, Loveys. As you know, we live in Colorado and where there's smoke there's fire. Gosh, it's been rough for so many people. Last night I was in the springs for an author dinner and I could stand in the parking lot and see fire up on the mountain. As I drove into the springs, the sky was completely yellow. It felt apocolyptic (in other words, scary). And I could smell smoke. Pray for all those people.



*Kid update. Linc is crawling so well now and has pulled himself up to the coffee table a couple of times. No more trying to talk though. Ash is doing great and having a good summer. Loves splash time at daycare. That girl has an imagination like you wouldn't believe. Today I just listened as she made up all kinds of stories.

Check out Jenna's Journey for the commenting challenge!

14 comments

  1. I couldn't live that life, either! I would always wonder why I wasn't enough for him. My favorite is Meri... she seems like the "main" wife to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never live that kind of lifestyle. Ick!!

    It's so sad about the fires. I hope they dissipate very soon.

    Visiting from the comment challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch Sister Wives. I have had my eyes opened to polygamy and how these people live a life that's more normal than I would have originally stereotyped them to be. I enjoy having my eyes opened. For these people, it bothers me that they are all in separate homes now, they seem so separate for lack of a better word. Having to be a man and split my life between 4 homes would be too much. Favorite wife? Hmmm, I like Christine, but I do like all of them and see how even though their personalities are different, they are still very complimentary to one another! I admire their relationship with one another more than I admire their relationships with Kody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. Their relationships with each other are way more interesting than the relationships with Kody!

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched Sister's Wives... mainly because I watch far too much tv already but I definitely know that I couldn't do what they do without becoming a murderer... eek.

    The fires are really scary, I do hope things get better over there.

    And... your blog? I'm loving it... I'll check out your book soon too =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Jenna's Journey. I was reading your blog and thought "Wow, she is a great writer" . .. then I realized that you ARE a writer :-) Love your blog and I hope you are not impacted by the fire. Wow. . it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK I was traveling this week and you know you watch "regular" tv instead of your DVR well they had the Sister Wives marathon on before the season finale OMG! 4 hours, 4 wives, 17 children. What I thought was weird is all 4 wives have seperate lives of the hubby EXCEPT when they first tried to get a wife they "both courted" her????? Also he only married wife #3 bc she would make a good mate??? really??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmigosh. Everything he said about Christine in that interview was tragic. She was probably furious with him for days.

      Delete
  7. I don't really like reality TV either. And that fire is horrible. I hope it goes away very, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure there's any appropriate way for me to respond to this post, so I'll just say thanks for writing, Brandy. And I'm against polygamy.

    Praying for the Springs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, I ended up reading this post to, ha! We have a lot in common. I loved Big Love (though I hated the finale) and I love to watch Sister Wives too. I'm adding you to my blogroll - loved reading these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find SW so fascinating. I have always loved watching how different people live their lives and this is totally what it is! I understand the concept they see but I would NEVER be okay with it. I suppose that if you have lived like this for so long, then it just seems normal? i don't know. They are also very conservative which is interesting. It's their personal choice and if they believe it's right, then who am I to judge? Ya know? I always was scared that people would think I was weird if I liked the show. Glad to know you do too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!