Vacation and My Luck (Or Lack Thereof)


Where to begin? We've talked about my luck, loveys. And the problem with it not being all that great. Let me just tell you what happened yesterday. So here we are, having all kinds of fun in Texas, loving life and going about our merry way. But Linc hasn't been feeling all that great. He hasn't been eating or sleeping well and I was starting to feel worried. So yesterday we decided to just go ahead and take him to a nearby clinic. We go in and wait and then see the doctor (who was super nice and from Pakistan). She proceeds to tell us about twelve times that Lincoln's situation is highly suspicious. By the fourth "highly suspicious" I'm feeling on the verge of a breakdown. Highly suspicious for what, you may be wondering? Oh, for chickenpox of course. I mean, we're on vacation. We're in a different state. We're staying with relatives. Of course my son has chickenpox. I mean, really. This isn't crazy, right?

It is CRAZY. I didn't think it was possible, I thought for sure that he'd already been vaccinated. The doctor tells me that they normally get it at their 9-month check up. Has he had that yet? Um, it's scheduled for next Tuesday. We are one week from the vaccine and Linc gets chickenpox! How does this happen? Not to mention I had a headache of epic proportions and was already feeling deathly.

Doctor tells us to keep him from drooling on anyone else. Oh, sure. No problem. I didn't mention his nickname is Moist Man.

We leave the clinic and head to the pharmacy with our four prescriptions.  By the time we are on our way to China Delight (for the best Chinese food in the world), I am crying. I call my mom and my sisters to make sure they are sharing my pain and just keep on crying (making my headache reach new levels). I'm feeling awful because we hung out with my friend and her new baby the day before. So I have to call her and tell her we're carrying the plague. We're supposed to see my new baby nephew and my new baby cousin--both situations are obviously not going to work now. So frustrating.

Chickenpox. In. Texas. On. Vacation.

Seriously.

Luckily, the meds seem to be working and halting this from getting worse. And Linc seems fine except for an off-and-on really low-grade fever and just a handful of red spots (hardly any). We're okay. His mother is slightly less weepy today. But I'm exhausted and going to bed as soon as I can get there.

Yes, loveys. You heard me right. We're in a highly suspicious, chickenpox quarantine over here. Do you hear me laughing that crazy laugh moms get when we're nearing the edge?

18 comments

  1. holy sweet jesus!
    thats seriously the worst :(
    sending healthy thoughts Linc's way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you. What a bummer! Compete bummer. I'm sorry. Sending you guys healthy and healing thoughts!

    I don't know if this will make you feel better about the whole exposure/luck thing... but kind of know how you feel. I had a situation last fall where I was watching my youngest nephew for my SIL while she took the oldest to the allergist to confirm his allergy of peanuts... b/c while under my care he ate a peanut and had a reaction (talk about feeling horrible. SO while I was watching the youngest, I noticed that I had a rash on my hip. A couple of days later, I was diagnosed with Shingles, which is a form of chickenpox and just as highly contagious. I had exposed her kids to the chickenpox (she's a no-vaccine mama). I'm pretty sure she's finished with me! Ugg it was horrible.

    I hope things look-up for you guys while on vacation and safe travels home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's horrible!Hope he feels better soon and you can enjoy the rest of your vacation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I'd like to say you'll laugh about this someday, but if I were in your shoes I would smack me! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I have heard of more people's kids coming down with chickenpox or the coxsackie virus this week alone! Tis the season? I'm terrified every time I see a notice up at daycare that "your child may have been exposed to...." Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I know how it feels to travel with a sick one. Wishing you and your family health ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although my daughter got it twice (?), we were NOT on vacation, and we got to suffer through it nestled in the relative comforts of home. Hope everyone is holding up as cold and flu season ramps up (yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe that happened while on vacation. Poor little one!! Happy SITS day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man that really stinks!! I had a very very bad case of the chickenpox and I was in my Aunt's wedding. I was the flower girl. By the point of the wedding I was past to "contagious" part but was COVERED in spots. SO much so that my mother and my Aunt kept asking the photographer if they could "fix" the photos. I was like 6 or 7. All I remember about that day was that my flower girl dress was really freakin itchy!!!

    Happy SITS Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, "Moist Man"! So hard. Glad you could vent online and sort of keep a sense of humor about it. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not a fun way to spend your vacation. I hope you were still able to have some fun and he came out of it all unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry. Chicken pox is no fun for the child or the caregiver. Enjoy your SITS Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes!! Visiting from SITS - hope everything worked out for you guys! Kids are never sick when it's convenient! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy SITS day! This would totally not have been fun. I would have been on edge too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, how crappy! I hope you were definitely able to eek out some semblance of enjoyment. I caught chickenpox as an adult, after having been both vaccinated, and victim of a mild case as a child. It. Was. Horrid. The pox as an adult is basically dangerous, miserable, and no one wants to help you. My doc just told me to stay home and take meds if I got a fever. Yeesh. I hope hope hope you didn't get it while Linc had it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awwwwww that is terrible luck! poor kiddo :( and poor mama, too...I would have reacted the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. On edge wouldn't begin to describe me in a situation like this...poor thing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh dear. We had the puke flu on our last vacation. Went through each one of us while we were gone, and then when we came home it went through my son again. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear! I'm sorry to hear that.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!