Book Lovers and Menus, What Could Be Better?


Happy Monday, Loveys! Here's my question, do we have any Karen Kingsbury fans out there? I've only recently decided to read her Baxter Family series and I'm now to the Firstborn series. (I'm still waiting on Feast for Crows from the library so I had time to squeeze some other books in. But I'm missing Tyrion's sarcasm.)

I think the draw for those books are the characters. To fall in love with a book series, I think you need to feel invested in the characters and actually care what happens to them. I joined a book club this year, mainly for the social aspect since I'm not exactly lacking in books to read. And I've loved it for a couple of reasons. I love talking about what works and didn't work for a story. Or what one person liked and another person hated. (Also, having a night that includes friends talking about books, good wine, and delicious snacks is pretty perfect to me.)

The last book our club read was Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Ms. Picoult is basically brilliant and everything she writes is phenomenal, but her books can and usually do tackle weighty subjects. Not exactly beach reads. Still, I've loved almost every book of hers I've read. But I can only take them in small doses. Happy-go-lucky Brandy needs her fair share of smiles and laughter when it comes to reading material.

Speaking of books, do you remember the Happy Ending books for kids? I know I had them growing up. My sister bought one for Ashtyn and Ash loves it. You can find them on amazon or eBay. Great stories for little kids.


Anyway, if you're a Karen Kingsbury fan, what is it about her writing that draws you in? Do you have a fave book or series of hers? For that matter, is there another book or series that you recommend right now?

Moving on to food. I've still been planning tentative menus but I haven't been so good about posting them. (Trust me, they are not that exciting anyway.) But I want to get back into the habit.


Sunday - lobster bisque and salad

Monday - French toast, bacon, hashbrowns

Tuesday - baked chicken with poppyseed dressing, white rice, steamed broccoli

Wednesday - baked potatoes and corn on the cob

Thursday - BLTs, pickles, chips

Friday - pizza

Jeff and I both said we wanted to have easier, lighter meals this week. So we wanted a few nights that included soup and salad and sandwiches. We need to work on being healthier over here. At least some of the time (Jeff and I both love desserts and I don't see that changing any time soon).

I've been thinking about doing a cookbook giveaway soon. I love cookbooks and I have several I don't use much anymore so a giveaway might be fun. I'll keep you posted on that, loveys.



 

6 comments

  1. Every week I say we need to eat healthier....rarely happens though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me. Thx for stopping by, Rachel!

      Delete
  2. I love Karen Kingsbury. I love she writes series, and you can track the different characters along the way. I like that Kingsbury's characters have a relationship with God. I also love Jodi Picoult. I think her writing is amazing. She writes on conversional issues and really make you think what would you do in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Christi! I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  3. Breakfast for dinner is perhaps one of my favorite meals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, i love lobster bisque! do you make it yourself?

    looks like a great menu!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!