Cereal . . . a mom's best friend


One of the only things I can count on that Ash will eat is cereal (preferably Froot Loops). She's in this habit of crying out that she's hungry the minute we tell her it's bedtime. She knows she's got us when she says that because my little girl eats like a bird and we're constantly worried that she's not eating enough and offering her food. So when she tells us she's hungry at 9:30 at night, what do we do? (Well, first Jeff reminds me that she's just playing us to stay up later, which is most likely true.) But I'm a sucker and can't make her go to bed in case it is true, so I take her downstairs and feed her cereal.

Anyway, Jeff informed me that we were going on a cereal diet as well this week. (At least until Friday when we have friends in town and therefore need to eat something fun and delicious.) I am not sure I can do this, but we're going to try to just do cereal for dinner most nights this week. If we don't do it for dinner, then it has to be lunch. Really, I love cereal. I do. In fact, I buy my favorites all the time (Rice Krispies, Raisin Bran, Honey-nut Cheerios, Reeses Puffs, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Frosted Flakes, and during October, Count Chocula--which they sell at Target during Halloween, if you're wondering). It's just that eating cereal is usually in addition to everything else. On it's lonesome, I'm not sure it's that filling. We'll see if we can do this. (I'm already telling myself that I should be able to have toast with cereal.) While I'm wasting away living on cereal over here, do you guys have any favorites you recommend? I need to try something new. What was your favorite as a kid?

I feel like this week is a full one for me. Work is busy for me right now. And one of my projects is due Friday so I've got that to think about. Like I said, we also have friends coming in town, so I need to clean house. But there's no point in doing that until the night before because you know all the toys will just be dragged out every day.

So for my Menu Monday loveys, I know this one is a bit unorthodox:

Mon-Thurs: CEREAL

9 comments

  1. It's sorta like the special K diet? maybe? and I'm pretty sure almost every cerial out there is all fortified with vitamins. I think you'll survive (maybe) as long as you have some extra protein-rich milk (like almond milk) and some fruit cut up in it to bulk the whole thing up. Good luck! I can't wait to hear what happens and if it's filling or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cereal and can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner....at times. As a child my mom only bought Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes and Cheerios-plain. She was always afraid of us rottening our teeth!? Now, I still enjoy those along with Sugar Crisp when I get that sugar craving. Special K, Chex and any of the ones with fruit are always a favorite too. :) Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cereal, too! I like to use a smaller portion as a dessert/snack most days to keep me from over indulging in other foods. Favorite is definitely Captain Crunch berries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My go to everyday cereal is Multi-grain Cheerios with 1% milk - only 3 ww pts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cereal, as well. I love Frosted Flakes or Mini Shredded Wheat. They are probably not the best with all the sugar. My daughter loves Count Dracula and we have not been able to find them for a long time. Thank you for the tip on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I love cereal and often times we'll both have a bowl before bedtime, we consider it more of a dessert than a breakfast item since we like all the sweet, bad for you kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who cares if its unorthodox, gotta do what makes your life easier! I also have a weakness for cereal :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol...Brandy you are so funny. I laugh because I do it too. My go-to meal for quick meals some night are grits & eggs. It's cheap and my kids eat it like it's going out of production. But I could eat frosted flakes every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have a Trader Joes close by? if so they have a delicious Mango Passion Fruit Granola and Puffed Wheat that are both wondeful with their Vanilla Coconut milk....my kids also enjoy their Fruity O's...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!