Life Inspired


I have a theory about why Pinterest has caught on like wildfire. We're all in need of inspiration. For everything. Pirate birthday parties, girl's-night-in martinis, bedroom decor, chicken recipes, 4th of July desserts, rainy day art projects, books to read, fashion ideas--you get me.

We're out of ideas.

Well, some of us. The truth is that we get inspired about different things and need to borrow inspiration from somebody else. At my job, I've been putting together an e-book that's one of those 101 _______. You know, what I mean. 101 ways to . . . yada yada yada. So I'm about 50 in and I've hit a brick wall. We have some great interns this summer and I've recruited them to help. So one of them turned in a list of more ideas and I thought they were fabulous. "I'm an idea person," she told me. I love that. I wish I was more of an idea person. I'm more of a can-I-borrow-that-idea? person. No matter. There's room for all of us. What inspires me? Stories. I read a great book and it always inspires me to write. Rain makes me want to either write or watch a BBC movie. Solitude makes me want to write. I'm a word person. I'm also an editor. When I get a manuscript, part of my job is to inspire the author to go beyond what they think they can do. To draw more out of them than they realized was in there. What inspires you, Lovey? What kind of a person are you?

I think the blogger world (and Pinterest!) is this place we come to find inspiration. And to share it. I love that about blogging. Because life in the mommyhood can leave you in need of inspiration. I am so inspired by the women whose blogs I read. Inspired to cook amazing meals, inspired to laugh off the overwhelming days, inspired to . . . you know . . . do things like make chore charts. (That was a joke!) For all of us bloggers, you write something quick and sweet about your life and you really have no idea whether you've inspired anyone or not. But you might have and that's pretty cool.

You might not realize that you are an inspiration to someone else. But you probably are. We all have our moments. If you knew you could inspire others to do something, what would it be?


3 comments

  1. I agree that we run out of inspiration, and need that help. Not that we steal there ideas, it just gives us inspiration to do it our way!!! If that makes any sense!!! :) Newest follower, and thanks for following me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! I find so many times that I just don't have that... jump, I guess, to create the thoughts I need to. That's why I love the blog world, pinterest, etc.
    Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to Pinterest for many things. It is such a great site. As far as inspiring others I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!