Oh the life of an emotional woman.

Hi Loveys. How are you this Sunday morning? I'm a little tired. The kids have woken up near the 6 o'clock mark for the past two days. I wish they would get the hint that weekends are meant for sleeping at least somewhere past 7. So this morning I got up with Linc and we went downstairs so Jeff could sleep a little longer. That movie 13 Going on 30 was on and I haven't seen it in forever and I forgot how much I loved it when it came out.


There's this scene where grown-up Jenna (who still feels 13) is feeling super lost and alone and has gone home to her parents' house and there's a thunderstorm in the middle of the night. And you see Jenna go climb in bed next to her mother. Her mom just makes room and holds her hand.

I saw that and I got emotional.

When I was little, we had this long house where my parents room was way on one side and Sara and I had rooms way on the opposite side. My mom and dad used to say how even in the middle of the night, in total darkness, from one long side of the house to the other, I would make my way to their room sometimes. We're in that stage of life where Ash makes her way to our room several nights a week. But Jeff and I haven't wanted to be strict about taking her back to her room. We both said to each other that we know this will be a phase that doesn't last long, and while it's here, we're just going to enjoy her climbing up and cuddling up between us (mostly with Jeff. She likes his pillow better or something. Plus, when I sleep it's sort of like I'm comatose and it's pretty hard to wake me up).

I felt that same way--about the quick phase thing--this morning while I was watching the movie and holding Lincoln. I kept playing with his tiny toes and thinking that they'll only be this tiny for a little while. Babies grow fast. And slow. Depending on the day and how much sleep Mom has had.

But as much as I love my kids and love these moments, sometimes you need a break. Sara and I went out for tea in Denver yesterday and then went to see Snow White and the Huntsman. After being out for several hours and then heading home, I was thinking to myself that I really, really needed that break away from home and everything. Plus, going out for tea is just such a fun thing.



I think even we grown-up women can feel lost and alone sometimes. Maybe that's why I connected to that scene of Jenna holding her mom's hand. I had some news this week that a good friend of mine has breast cancer. We're the same age. We went to high school together. She's the nicest girl you could ever meet. I can't tell you how stunned I was to hear that she has cancer. Stunned and afraid. I don't want her to be sick. 

Do we get more emotional as we grow older? Maybe. In some ways having kids makes you weepy about every little sentimental thing. I mean, Hallmark commercials can cause waterfalls. Then again, think of those uncontrollable hormones in high school when you'd cry and yell and slam doors over things that would never matter the following month. Maybe we're just emotional. Some women more than others, of course. (I'm in that first category.) But being emotional doesn't mean lacking in strength. You can be crying one minute and fighting the next. I think it just comes with being a girl (woman). We can be really strong and really weepy. In other words, don't mess with us. :)

4 comments

  1. My emotions are always close to the surface! I Teared up at church when we sang God Bless America today! I look at Tommy and can have the same thing happen sometimes. I have always been emotional, even as a kid, but now I think as adults we are just more aware of that fact.

    I am sorry about your friend...it is so scary, but stay positive. I lost a friend at 28 from the disease, but I have more success stories of those I know, including my mom. I am a worry wart too, so I do my monthly exams because of my mom and friend, and go once a year go my mammogram, which because of my family history, started when I was 30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that movie!
    I think after the kids I definitely got more emotional. I can cry on demmand I think, heehee.

    I'm really sorry about your friend, hopefully everything works out with treatment sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed that movie too! I've been an emotional wreck every now and then. Especially when it comes to life milestones. It's crazy!?

    I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope all turns out well. I can totally understand how hard it hits knowing how close in age you both are. Stay positive and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your friend is gonna be just fine... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!