Stormy Weather and the Olympics

It's thundering outside right now and I'm glad. It's pretty dry here in Colorado and I'm from Texas where we have major thunderstorms, so whenever we get a good thunderstorm out here, I love it. I'm sitting here, knowing that Ash will be out of bed soon and telling me she's dying of hunger or thirst. Sketchy, I know. Jeff decided to go out to the garage and lift weights (this is really because he wants to listen to his Storm of Swords book-on-CD) and I have a few delicious minutes to myself, with you guys! I am going to tell you an awful secret about myself (please don't judge).

I'm not that into the Olympics.

I mean, I've watched a little of the swimming/diving races and I usually like to watch the gymnastics part, but we just don't watch it every evening for long periods of time. (Jeff's not all about it either.) I can understand the draw, I think I just get distracted too easily. Plus, with the kids all over the place all the time, being able to sit and watch people ride bikes or throw stuff just isn't easy for me. I'll be sitting there, feeling tempted to see if Criminal Minds or something is on, or thinking I need to do the dishes or work on my book project. I know SO many people are really, really into it, and that's cool. But because so many people I know are excited about it, I feel a little like the odd person out since it's not a huge deal at my house. I know you can keep my secret though. :)

So right now, as most of you are watching the Olympics, I'm blogging. I'm also having anxiety about all the stuff I need to accomplish in the next four weeks.

OK, second confession: I ate powdered donuts today. I had this big argument with myself this morning and the part of me saying no lost out to the part of me saying yes. Sigh. I know it was a bad decision. But I'm not going to live in the past, people. I'll just start over tomorrow. Since I will not be driving past any gas stations tomorrow morning, I have a much better chance of saying no.


I've been thinking a lot lately about this blog of mine. I love writing for my blog and reading other people's blogs. But I don't have a set schedule where I spend time writing for my blog. Sometimes I think I should blog earlier in the day, but I rarely have time, so I usually blog at night. Do you have a schedule for working on your blog? How do you manage your blog? Do you spend time on it every day? Every other day? How do you grow your blog? I try to spend a good amount of time visiting other blogs and commenting and such. For me, it's just a matter of finding the time to really invest. Why do you blog? I do it for the community factor. I really like being part of the blogging community and hearing the real-life voices and stories of other women out there. Blogging is important to me, but sometimes I feel like I'm still trying to find my footing out here in the blogosphere. What about you? Tell me about your blogging experience!

19 comments

  1. Confession: I haven't watched any of the Olympics. I know; I'm a terrible American. :(

    As for the blogging, I just do it when I get inspired. Sometimes I come up with a topic, sometimes I just start writing and see what comes out. I really enjoy the community factor too and try to visit and comment as much as I can, but like you I'm also still not sure where my place is in all of it. For a while I was working on growing my blog, but I don't feel like I have a lot of time to invest in that, so I just concentrate on my content more than anything. I hope I make people want to come back, but mainly I just try to remember that I'm doing it because I enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Just curious - how'd you get into book editing? It's my dream job! :D

      Delete
    2. Hi Rachel! So glad you stopped by! I did an internship with a publishing house right out of college and it turned into a job for me. I knew editing was perfect for me early on. I've heard from a lot of people wondering how to get into it, I think I'll do a post on it soon with some ideas for people.

      Delete
  2. How have I not found your blog earlier?! I completely agree with what you wrote here. Every single bit of it. Well...my husband is TOTALLY into the Olympics so it makes for a little bit of arguing. If I had my choice, I'd blog everyday. I used to but then pulled back to every other day. I blog because I love to write and love the community of bloggers out there. I have been trying to grow my blog as well and what I have found has helped has been the link ups that I have found. I love your blog. It is very inviting and makes me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to meet you, AnnMarie! I just love your blog too! Your header is adorable!

      Delete
  3. As of now, I've only gotten to watch the opening ceremonies.

    About blogging, I must admit that I'm totally addicted to it. Maybe because I am a new blogger. I write my posts usually every night. I try to visit as many blogs as possible. I comment every now and then to let other bloggers know that I have been to their site. I know it's so much nicer to blog when you know that someone is reading it. The problem is I do not know how to grow my blog or how to make it nicer. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found growing my blog to be difficult too. I think it takes a lot of time, which is tough when you don't have a lot of extra time. But we're in this together!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I run out of topics to blog about. And then inspiration strikes when I least expect it.

    I also enjoy being part of a community. It reminds me that I'm not alone, especially when it comes to the hardships of parenting.

    All I like about the Olympics are the opening ceremonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only caught glimpses of the opening act this year and was a little confused! I clicked over and suddenly there were huge black monsters drifting around kids in their beds!

      Delete
  5. I'm joining the not watching the olympics club. I do enjoy a little of the gymnastics but I'm just not that into it. I think that's ok!

    I'm new to the blogging community and have had a lot going on recently so I've been slow to grow my blog. I do notice that link ups are nice because it gives you a starting point for a post and a connection to other blogs. I also like to comment on the blogs that I feel a connection with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I'll be visiting your blog too!

      Delete
  6. Your site is beautiful! Looks like you're enjoying the blogging scene. I know, I've had many of the same thoughts as you about the blog thing. It can be my Achilles heel. Trying to balance my online time wisely. So hard, though.

    Thank you for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only really like watching the gymnastics, diving and some swimming, once those events are over I probably won't watch. I don't like the track and field stuff.

    I blog mainly when I'm slow at work and get a few free minutes. If it weren't for that I would never have time at home until after I put the baby to bed and by then I'm not motivated enough to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon! The Olympics have a tendency to remind me that I'm in terrible shape! Ha!

      Delete
  8. When I first started blogging 18 months ago, I was all gung-ho about it. I wrote whenever I felt the need to write. I stayed up so late commenting and chatting on Twitter. But I think I got burned out, so now I just blog once a week, with an extra thrown in there if something is on my mind.

    I hope you are enjoying your blogging experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also not into the Olympics. There are just more things I could be doing instead.

    For my blog I keep an editorial calendar of posts and topics I want to write about. I write ahead of time because I just don't have the free time every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Olympics - I am one of those couch potatoes who love to watch sports? I think after the 1996 Olympics when I won a chance to attend in person I feel like I am addicted! The Olympic spirit!., My husband and kids are kind enough to watch it with me for hours! I am just confused who to support some days with dual citizen ship.

    I blog now for money so I plan doing an article weekly.. I share my opinion/ contributor with others in form of articles and get a few bucks a month. I just felt (personal opinion) like the blogging world was becoming like facebook (cat fights, popularity contest and show off..blah..blah) so I stopped blogging personally! But I still get most of my inspiration, organizations skills, recipes and love from all the wonderful REAL blogs out there and make a conection to women who keep it real! Like yours.... thanks for keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't worry, you aren't the only one not super into the Olympics. I've watched a few swim and gymnastics sets, but I'm not that into sports.
    As far as blogging, I blog mostly for myself. I blog as sort of a journal. I also blog for my family, I don't live anywhere near any of them. Having followers and readers is just an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!