When You Have to Yell in Order to Be Heard

I do not like yelling. I always feel bad afterward. But there are moments when Ash (or Linc, but not on purpose) pushes me to the yelling point. Tonight was one of those nights. We are (and by we I mean Ashtyn) fighting sleep over here still and it's uncool to the nth degree. The moment she's in bed, Ash is hungry. She wants juice. She wants milk. Heck, she even wants water. She needs to go to the bathroom . . . maybe. I am so thankful for bedtime that it's hard to understand fighting it! For the last few days, by the time we reach bedtime my patience is running on fumes. So the bedtime fight is on the fumes of the fumes. Like I said, I hate yelling. It's just one of those reactions when you are pushed to the limit. It's like you aren't being heard so you have to raise your voice to the point where there is no question that everyone in the vicinity can hear you. And even then, sometimes you feel like you're talking to the wind.

Have any of you gone through this with bedtime situations? What did you do? What do you do when you're at the yelling place?

So on to the cereal diet. Well, I had Cinnamon Toast Crunch for dinner but I am dreaming of pizza right now. And I'm promising myself that if I can make it till Friday, pizza is on the menu. And salad. And banana pudding. I am all about banana pudding this summer. The kind you cook in the oven with meringue on top. Oh gosh. Stop talking, Brandy. You'll never reach Friday if you keep this up. I know that for me, eating healthy snacks during the day keeps me from getting too hungry. Are there any ready-made snacks you recommend? I'm not into having to cut my own carrot slices and all that jazz.

Well, loveys, this little girl needs to read a chapter of Feast for Crows before she goes to sleep. (Unless it's another chapter about Samwell or Bran, in which case I might just go on to sleep).

I'll leave you with a couple of 4th of July pictures I keep meaning to share on here. Hilarious. ;)

Linc is distraught because Ash gets to wave the flag.



 Oops. It's Linc's turn to hold the flag. Tragedy.


Obviously next year we will invest in two flags. :) Good night, Loveys!

9 comments

  1. Hi! I love your blog so I nominated you for the Liebster Award!

    Please visit http://teachlovewrite.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-award-and-woven-bagfinally.html
    for more information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

      Delete
  2. We have that same problem in our house. It has helped that we offer her a snack at 7pm (letting her know there will be no more food after that). We give her a very small cup of water for her nightstand every night (as she too would yell for milk or juice). It doesn't always work, but it has helped. She still gets out of bed a few times some nights. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG those pics are hilarious! Good memories. Haha. Sorry about the sleep issues. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was even funnier in real life! Jeff and I were dying laughing even as our kids are having meltdowns.

      Delete
  4. Tommy is almost 3 and goes to sleep pretty quickly once he's in bed, but the getting ready for bed once we are out of the bathtub is a challenge. He's a night owl, like his mommy, but since we don't get home until 6:30 at least from work/daycare, I want to have a little time with him. I'd love for him to go to bed earlier than the 9:30ish he generally goes right now, but I've tried several times unsuccessfully and it has not worked. So, I finally decided to go with it, and everyone is happier. I talked to some of the other moms from daycare at a party this weekend, and the topic of naps and bedtime came up, and how our kids don't nap for us well on the weekends, and that we all wished they'd go to bed earlier. I finally came out and asked what time their kids go to bed, and everyone kind of hesitated, so I said, I wish Tommy would go earlier, but 9:30 seems to be the magical hour for him. No joke, the other 4 moms said the same thing! We all laughed and felt so much better about ourselves. Everyone seems to struggle. Tommy gets wound up after his bath, jumps on his bed, won't let me get him dressed, will "play" kick or hit me - he thinks he's being funny, but it's not, of course. What I usually do is say, "okay, good night. Shutting the light off and you can go to bed naked and by yourself!" If I were a magician, that would be my magical phrase I guess, because it usually works! He apologizes, hugs me, and cooperates. Of course he tries to sneak a few funnies in there, which make me smile, but he seems to know I mean business, and cooperates brushing his teeth, picking a few books out, and depending on the timing, sometimes falls asleep before I finish reading to him. I know every kid is different, but I jokingly refer to Tommy as the "King of Delay Tactics." I sometimes have to make "deals" with him that I see as picking my battles. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to add that I don't like to yell either, but sometimes it just happens, and I know it happens at least once a day. Patience was never a virtue for me, and I have to remind myself that I'm trying to get through to someone who is not even 3 yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, that last picture! it's too much haha.

    I'm with you on the feeling bad about yelling part. My son will be 3 in October and I swear he has his father's hearing. Especially when there's a Disney movie on, if you need him to do something and a movie is on.. Forget about it! When we get a fight about bedtime it's usually just not an option, if we say bedtime that's it. We are lucky tho and haven't had much of a fight on that issue. Good luck! and I say it's ok to yell every once in awhile, mommies aren't perfect ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!