Confession: I'm Not Cooking


Loveys . . . I've almost stopped cooking. Remember when I was on the cereal diet? Well, I got used to not cooking and I'm finding it difficult to want to start again. I always have to make Ashtyn separate meals from me and Jeff anyway since--obvy--we don't live on chicken nuggets and cotton candy yogurt. But her meals are pretty easy to plan (again, we're talking chicken nuggets here). But for me and the Jeffster? Well, I've slipped right out of the habit of being the kind of wife who has a fabulous dinner on the table at 5:00. (Does hamburger helper count as fabulous?) I'm not sure when I'm going to move back into cooking mode. Probably not this week since, as I told you, I've been working a lot of evenings and such to meet my deadline. I think I'm also just bored with the meals I make. I feel like I usually make the same thing. And while Pinterest and all the menu-planning on blogs is cool and inspirational--I somehow lose the inspiration when I have to thaw stuff and pull out pots and pans and then clean up a messy kitchen after. Sigh.

I think of all that--and then I think of soup or Rice Krispies--little to no clean up and little to no effort to make. I think after I've hit my deadline, I'll take a little time to look for some super-easy new recipes to try. We'll see how that goes. What's your favorite easy recipe? Or a go-to meal when you're not in the mood to do a lot of cooking?  Nights like that for me usually end in soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I was also thinking of planning a foodie-movie marathon. Food movies seem to inspire me to want to cook. I love food movies. Do you? What's your favorite? Here's my top ten list:

1. Julie and Julia
2. Chocolat
3. Tortilla Soup
4. No Reservations
5. Sabrina (1954 version)
6. Under the Tuscan Sun
7. Last Holiday
8. Christmas in Connecticut
9. It's Complicated
10. Fried Green Tomatoes


7 comments

  1. Don't start this week with the heat I m trying anything and everything thAt isn't the stove or oven

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! I totally agree. Cooking for 2 adults is a pain in the rear & doesn't seem worth the effort. I like making things in the crock. Little to no mess/work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite recipe is taco soup. You can make it in your crock pot and it's so delicious! We have a lot of sandwich nights or breakfast for supper nights around my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOTALLY agree! I hate cooking for 2...especially when it's hot. I suggest chinese or pizza about every other night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ditto...I hate cooking in the summer period - the thought of turning on my oven just makes me HOT. I see all these blogs with food menus and go woow, somebody is cooking somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog! I hate cooking! Usually my husband will cook, but he has been traveling. So we have lived off cereal, soups, and waffles! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. since it's been so hot I've been making meals that require little to not stove or oven use. We've been having a lot of cold turkey sandwiches and cheese quesadillas. Usually when it's hot my husband will offer to barbeque (when I can remember to pull chicken or steak out of the freezer). I'm really more of a baker than a cook. We did just get a crock pot, so I've been looking up recipes to make in that since you just throw everything in in the morning and it's ready by dinner time.
    I also love Julie & Julia when it comes to cooking movies. Every time I watch it I want to cook meals like that.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!