Recipe: Lobster Bisque!


OK, I'm hungry just thinking about this. Here's what you need:

1-2 cups cooked lobster meat (If you don't want to cook it yourself, just buy it frozen or canned at the grocery store)
1/2 cup dry sherry or dry white wine (you can get this at the grocery store as well)
3 tbls butter
3 tbls flour
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup carrot, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning (if you have it, if not, maybe just use a little cajun seasoning or seasoned salt)
2 tbls tomato paste
 1 cup whole milk
1 cup half and half
1 cup chicken stock (or lobster stock)

Alrighty then, first combine the lobster meat with the wine. Cover and refrigerate.
Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large hot pan. Add onion, celery, carrots, salt and pepper, and Old Bay. I should tell you that I seriously dice my veggies. I put them in a chopper until they are as tiny as they can get. (But you don't have to!) Stir and let cook until the veggies are translucent and are getting soft.

Add the tomato paste and cook for another couple of minutes.

Add the flour and cook for two to three minutes, stirring all the time with a whisk.

While whisking, add the cold milk, half and half, and chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 1 minute, still whisking constantly. Turn the heat down and let simmer until slightly reduced.

Now you have 2 options. Either,

1. Using a blender, blend the soup until creamy and smooth. (Use an immersion blender if you have one, if not, just pour it into a regular blender.)

2. Strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer, pressing down on the solids. (I have never done option 2! I've always done option 1.)

Taste and add more salt or pepper or Old Bay if it needs it. Add the reserved lobster and wine to the pot and simmer for just a couple of minutes, so the lobster is completely heated.

Just as a side note, I've tried it where I put the lobster in the blender as well. This way it's all blended, rather than having chunks of lobster. It's good both ways.

Serve with bread (a must!) and maybe a little dollop of sour cream on top.

Voila! Enjoy!

4 comments

  1. This sounds hard! How about you just whip me up a batch and I'll bring the wine (or margaritas if that is what you'd rather). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandy,
    I'm lovin' this.

    Karina
    www.momintheusa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! We have a local restaurant that has a lobster bisque similar to this that I LOVE. Now, I can recreate it at home. Will definitely be trying this soon. Thanks for sharing Girl!

    Stopping by from the link up at Kelly's!

    Y'all have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!