Talkin' Work Stuff

I was thinking I'd link up with the bargain blonde and talk about job stuff! I've had a lot of people ask about my job and how I got into it and all that jazz, so let's talk. And I definitely want to hear from all my loveys. Tell me what you do! Stay-at-home mama? Do you work outside the home? Spill the beans, girlfriends.

OK, back to me.

So I graduated from Liberty University way back when in 2003 (gosh, that sounds forever ago). It's a great school and I recommend it, but it's gotten a lot cooler since 2003. They've got everything now. I think of the dorm rooms that are like condos now, and reminisce about me and Laurie in our room with cement walls and a sink. (Smack-dab next door to our RAs, I might add.) But girl, we had some great times. Right, Laurie?





Anyhoo, so I knew I wanted to work in a field that included books or writing. I had an idea that being an editor would probably be a great job for me. I majored with a BA in English. My senior year, a girl in one of my English classes told me about an internship she'd done for a magazine company. It sounded great and she encouraged me to try for a book publishing internship. Really good idea. So I applied for an internship and waited and hoped and prayed that I would get it. Long story short, I did. And so did another girl from my college! Yay! I had a ready-made friend for my summer internship. (So glad about that, Sam!) During the internship I realized that editing books was, indeed, a perfect fit for me.

About a year after my internship, there was an opening in that same book publishing department and I was hired! Fast forward 8 years, and I'm still a book editor. But now I'm a mommy so I scaled down my hours to part-time. (I've also found that part-time is a perfect fit for me! Love it.) I really love taking manuscripts and helping to shape them into what they need to look like. For me, it's like putting together a puzzle. You have to be able to move things around, spot what's missing, take out what's not needed, make everything flow together--in order to have the finished product. For my specific job, I'm a developmental editor. I do the substantive edit (the big-picture edit, rather than the nitty-gritty copyedit stuff). So I work with authors from the time they turn in their manuscripts to the point where the bound book is in their hands (this usually takes about a year). I'm the go-to editor throughout the process, but I usually hire freelance copyeditors and proofers to help along the way (this is a common part of the process). It's a great job and I love it.


Some people ask me how they could become a freelance editor. I do know that some publishing houses have editing tests you can take so they can see what your editing level is and whether you'd be right for substantive editing, copyediting, or proofing or whatnot.

I feel lucky in a lot of ways to have a job that I'm passionate about. Like everybody, I go through ups and downs and days where I feel burned out or uninspired. And I don't think we all necessarily have to find jobs that are completely perfect. For the most part, we work to support ourselves and the people we love. I need to take care of my children regardless of what my job is. My husband feels that way as well. He works to provide for us and he would do that no matter what kind of job he had to take. But whenever we can work in a field that feels right to us (whether that's being a SAHM or a work-outside-the-home mom), it makes life that much better, doesn't it? It gives us a sense of fulfillment.

So tell me, lovey? What do you do? Is it your dream job? Your in-between job? What do you want to do?



15 comments

  1. you worded this so beautifully, especially the end when you talk about having a job you are passionate about. it's true that we work to support ourselves and the people we love. I saw a comment by a SAHM today who said her husband has encouraged her to go back to work... but she doesn't want to become a robot. I never really thought about it that way. We do what we have to do, and it's good some people have choices. Some of us don't but would work doing what we do regardless. I had no idea this link up would turn so controversial! PS - I do event planning, my dream job is... event planning... my in between job is... event planning lol! But I must admit I had a day off on Mon and it was FABULOUS. I for one quick second wished I didn't have a 9-5. then i came back to work and was over it LOL. I think it comes down to... I like feeling independent. I like knowing I can support myself and my family of Gav & Me. I like spending money. I like going out to eat if I feel like it or buying $200 in Hello kitty if I feel like it. Not sure this is all appropriate for a post of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx, Leah! I didn't know you were an event planner! Fun stuff!

      Delete
  2. This job sounds awesome!! And good for you for mixing your home life and work life together - I want to do the same thing when I have kids...work part time:) New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever get asked "why don't you teach?" as an English major? I get asked that ALL the time haha, having to explain that English majors don't just sit around judging people's grammar and writing poetry is always fun :) great post and great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been asked that SO many times! :)

      Delete
    2. I just graduated with my BA in English. I've definitely gotten the whole, "What are you going to do with an English degree? Teach?" Ughhhhh.

      Anyways, your job sounds awesome! Great post.

      dksimply12.blogspot.com (formerly fromknot2nest)

      Delete
  4. what a fun job! love your blg nd i a now following you! arent link parties great!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for stopping by, Becky! I'll be sure to start following you too!

      Delete
  5. Wow, your job sounds way more interesting than mine...I edit stuff too...like insurance forms!
    It's so good to hear about someone being so passionate about her job. That's awesome! I love my job and feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a stay-at-home mom. I have also been working on a fictional novel for the past 4 years and one day a week I work as a personal assistant for a family friend. I love all the work I do. I love being a personal assistant, I essentially do bookkeeping for her for the most part and I love it. I have been enjoying working on my book, even when I do hit writer's block. I absolutely love being a stay-at-home mom and getting to go and do fun activities with my little boy most of the week. You're job sounds very interesting and fun. It's great to have a job that you love, because a lot of people don't have that.
    BTW, I'm a loving your blog and just started following it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a dream job. I just don't get paid. Sigh
    xx
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your job sounds really cool and that's awesome you are able to do something you are passionate about. The best thing about my job is that it pays the bills. haha. Not exactly my dream job but for now I'm okay with it. Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad it worked out that you were able to get the internship and later the job. My major was creative writing, but I didn't end up going on to work in anything related to writing, publishing, or editing. I do still write and I have been paid to write and edit on occasion, but not for an actual job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your job sounds amazing! I secretly dream of being swamped with books and editing and being in a high fast paced office, writing for a magazine of some sort(hello, have you seen How to Lose a Guy in 10 days...swoon.) Alas.....

    Thank you for commenting on my post and its nice to wander over and meet you!:)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!