A Taste of Fall and the Weekend Recap


Hi everyone! How was your weekend? In a word, mine was rough. Three of the four people in our house were sick so we had some really long days cooped up inside. No one's a hundred percent yet, but we're on the mend this morning and I'm thankful for that. When you're home all day, it's amazing how slow the hours can pass by (especially when you're too sick to do much of anything). I'm not sure how stay-at-home moms do it. They probably have a schedule they stick to, and they're probably way better at getting their kids out of the house than I am. Mondays and Thursdays are always long for me (the days I'm home). So far today we've watched Disney until Ash's fave shows were over. Then we had play-dough time. Then we had lunch. Then we had paint-with-watercolor time. I've done one load of laundry. Now it's nap time. (Though I can hear from the kids' rooms that no one is actually taking a nap.) And it's only 12:40! There are a million hours until Jeff comes home.

Sigh.

How do you fill your hours, moms? How do you keep your kids entertained? Please share your wisdom with me.

Well, the picture above is my dining room table centerpiece. I bought a pumpkin this weekend but Jeff told me it's too hot to leave outside right now. He's probably right. So it's a centerpiece for the moment. But every time I see it, I smile because it really does make me feel like fall is here. Speaking of such! I'm going to do a fall giveaway in the next few days! I'm really excited about it. I decided I would just do a surprise package for the winner with lots of fallish goodies. Doesn't that sound fun? Winning a fall package is a great way to jumpstart your season. :) So stay tuned!

OK, mom friends, don't forget to share your daily schedule tips!





12 comments

  1. Such a gorgeous centerpiece! :) I love anything pumpkin-related. Excited to hear more about your fall giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandy, I hope everyone feels better! My weekend was pretty laid back thankfully though I should have gotten more work done on my papers that are due. I hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oo no,,,i hope everyone gets to feeling better soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like we had a similar weekend. The kids and I are down and out with a cold, too. Boo! Glad to hear you all are on the mend. Sending you healing thoughts and wishes.

    And your centerpiece is so beautiful! I try to be creative like that... but my creativity turns out looking nothing like that. :-)

    With regards to a schedule... The kids get to watch Super Why then it's breakfast, followed by clean-up and a load of laundry, then onto "story time". The kids both get to pick a book or two to read. That takes us to 9am... then it's a free for all from that point till lunch. Often times we run errands; go to the library; play dates; go outside and play; feed live stock; work in the garden, etc. Nap time is after lunch, which is around 1 and they sleep till 3 (or stay in their rooms). We then go outside for a walk, play, etc. They get to do crafts (paint, color, etc)while I'm making dinner, or they get to watch a movie. After dinner they get to go out with Daddy (if he's in town) to feed livestock and play... then it's bath time and bed. Wow, my day sounds so monotonous...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never fails, when one is sick all are sick! Printerst had great ideas for keeping the kiddos busy!
    Now that fall is coming, there are plenty of corn mazes and festivals! Can't beat a hayride!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you all feel better soon! I'm not a mom but know that baths or water play can kill a lot of time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fall decorations! They look amazing!
    Thanks for stopping by from the hop! Love your blog. :)

    xoxo
    Megan @ thememoirsofmegan.com
    https://meganbb.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a sick kid is the worst. I couldn't be a stay at home mom, I would go stir crazy being in the house so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When my Lincoln is sick we usually watch movies and read books all day. When he is not sick we are constantly doing activities. Like going to the library, going for walks down by the creek, playing in the backyard, having play dates with friends. I'm a stay-at-home mom and we have no schedule. We get up in the morning between 8-9am. We have breakfast and Lincoln watches cartoons while I get some things done around the house. Then we decide what we want to do for the rest of our day. However, if we have plans for the day then everything gets pushed back. You have to stay creative as a stay-at-home mom so that you're not always stuck at home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving that fall is right around the corner, but I'm trying to savor the last few drops of summer.

    I've been a stay at home mom for 6 years now, and am homeschooling first grade for two of my three kiddos. Wondering what to do to entertain my kids has honestly never crossed my mind! Somehow, I manage to get done what needs to be done around the house, they learn what they need to learn, they play and amaze me, and we don't stress about it. Stressing just makes my life more difficult and nothing more gets accomplished.

    They have free access to their toys, most of which are things that inspire their creativity and encourage them to pretend. I think it's the best thing they can do at this age, after learning to read and write.

    We don't need to get out of the house everyday, but our lack of a schedule works well for us. We have a lot of down time which translates into spontaneous adventures and lots of opportunities to play and cuddle. As they get older, I'm sure things will change, but I'm enjoying the simplicity of our lives right now. I treasure the opportunity I have been given to do what I do. It's often chaotic and messy, but I find joy in the little things, which makes it all worth it.

    The greatest lesson I've learned by being a mom for so few years is to let the little things go. Just let go, move on, and learn to laugh when things don't go as hoped. I enjoy everything more when I'm not trying to be someone else's definition of perfect.

    I don't know how working moms do it. Constantly on the go, deadlines to meet...I admire their {and your} ability to do so much for their families. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such good advice. Thank you so much! Down time does offer opportunity to play and cuddle--two things I love!

      Delete
  11. I was never at home without also being a freelancer, so I don't know. Nap time was my work time and it always seemed like naptime was right around the corner. *sigh* I miss it so much...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!