Going Out and Staying In


Hi loveys. So this pic was taken over the weekend in Manitou Springs. There's this great arcade there for the kiddos with a jillion of these little rides for a quarter each. We picked up Subway for lunch, ate at a picnic table at Garden of the Gods, and then pulled out the strollers and spent some time in Manitou (which I love).

 
Jeff was saying that we need to spend more time doing these 'family outings' and he's right. It's not something we do all the time. After our work week, we really like to just take it easy on the weekends. But lately, taking it easy (aka 'staying home') has been making us nutty since the kids start bouncing off the walls with boredom. I already know there will be a few fun outings during the fall. I can't wait to take the kids to a pumpkin patch. We like to drive up to the mountains and see the fall colors (in Colorado, if you blink, you'll miss fall so we try to be intentional about enjoying what we get). Ash and I are doing this "glam day" for mommys and daughters at the end of the month, and I know it will be a lot of fun.

I really do like getting out and about with the kids--but it's so much work! I managed to pack us up and go to the park last week for a playdate, and seriously, it's exhausting. You have to pack stuff like you're leaving for two weeks. Then you need the stroller (which you always forget how to fold up, if you're me). Then you buckle everyone in, finally get where you're going, and have to unload! Then you do it all again like two hours later!

That's why, for me, half the time I just can't tell if I'm up for it or whether it's worth it. Do you know what I mean? Like today, I've been trying to talk myself into going to Walmart with the kids for about three hours now and it's looking like I'm losing the battle. At least for family outings, Jeff's there to help (and deal with the stroller).

Anyway, we had just a twinge of cool (ish) weather this past weekend and that inspired me to whip up a batch of chicken and dumplings. Jeff was thrilled.


They were great, but there was enough to feed an army. I can handle one round of leftovers, but that's it. (The exceptions are at Christmas and Thanksgiving.) I usually make this if we're having company, but this was a last-minute decision. Sunday we visited a new church where not one person said hello, welcome, or introduced themselves. We even sat next to some people our age, thinking they might say hi . . . nope. It's like we weren't there. When dropping the kids off at the childcare, I told the woman in Ashtyn's class, "This is Ashtyn." All she says to me is, "Oh, like after Ashton Kutcher?"

Um no. Of course not. That's all she said! Nothing like "welcome" or "we're glad to have you." One comment about Ashton Kutcher. Afterward, I told Jeff that that was the unfriendliest church I have ever been to. We've been on the hunt for a new church and I'm realizing that it can be hard to find the right fit for you. It would be so much better to be able to jump in and feel at home and like you're part of the family. But it just doesn't seem to work that way. I'm so appreciative of the churches we've visited that at least make visitors feel welcome. It seems like a given that they all should do that, but they really don't.  

So how was your weekend? What did you do?

Alright. I'm about to lose it. It's nap time and the kids have finally gone to sleep and somebody very near by just turned on a weed eater. Heaven help me.



8 comments

  1. I LOVE garden of the gods, omg it's truly breathtaking! and your bangs! I've totally been out of the loop, but they are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to go to Garden of the Gods. I've been to Colorado (Boulder area) once and it is beautiful! I hear ya on the motivation to go out. When I take my nieces it is a lot of work so I can't imagine doing it every day. Sorry to hear about the churches. I hope you find one that you love soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! New follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your kids are adorable! And that chicken and dumplings? Well, it looks amazing and I will be on the first flight out- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful pictures of you and the little ones! :) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I'm following you back. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so hard to find a church. We looked for probably a year before we felt led to join ours. We are so glad that we waited and prayed and not jumped into one. I love our Pastor, Sunday School teacher, and our church family. I remember those Sundays of visiting around - not sure of what you might find inside. Ha! I am praying you all find one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel exactly the same way about outings...they're so fun, but they're so much work! Sometimes you just HAVE to get out of the house, but it's so exhausting...which is why half the time I end up talking myself out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! and your kids are adorable! I can't wait for my little growing family to be able to do outings I already have photo opps planned out!
    I nominated you for an award on my blog, I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!