The Food Network and Diets

Those two things--the Food Network and dieting--do not go together. I'm not really on a diet. But Jeff and I were sort of just eating a little better (by better I mean less) in preparation for the Turkey Day that's on its way. I have no intention of skimping on all my fave Thanksgiving foods (of which there are many). So I'm prepping for it. However, lately Jeff and I are sort of obsessed with the Food Network. Seriously, I can't get enough of that show Chopped or the Iron Chef: Redemption. Not to mention Restaurant Impossible (I love that show, but it makes me really afraid of eating at restaurants) or Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I'm even into Cupcake Wars. Watching all these shows when you're trying to avoid your usual snacks is crazy hard. And who knows why I'm doing it to myself! For now, I'm just trying to fight the intense desire for cupcakes that comes over me while I'm watching these people compete over Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cupcake displays. I'm a sucker for anything icing-related.

 
So let's get back to the purpose in all this self-depravation: Thanksgiving. Here's what I'm wondering, does your family stick to the same menu every Thanksgiving? Do you add things or change things up? Always have turkey or ham or do you do something else? My family pretty much sticks to the same menu and has since I was little. It does seem like we swapped peas for green bean casserole somewhere along the way. A couple of years ago Jeff decided he wanted to add mac-n-cheese to our Thanksgiving menu. Mac-n-cheese? At Thanksgiving? Really? But marriage is all about compromise so we had it (Ash was totally on board with that addition). My family always has pecan pies and pumpkin pies--those two are a must. A while back I added a chocolate chip cheesecake to that mix. But it's not exactly a must-have. I don't make it every year. Turkey? check. Dressing? check. Mashed potatoes? check. Sweet potatoes? check. Rolls? check, check, check!

What's your must-have on your menu? Or does your menu change from year to year? What makes your family celebration special for your family? Share stories!

8 comments

  1. Mimi's Dressing! A golden recipe!! :) Great post! Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Food Network... and you are right... it just doesn't go well with weight-loss efforts! LOL! ... -sigh- makes me sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bran, what is your pumpkin cream cheese dip recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! Here you go: Pumpkin Dip with Ginger Cookies

      1 8 oz cream cheese

      1 large can of pumpkin pie mix (not canned pumpkin)

      2 cups of powdered sugar

      cinnamon to taste

      1/2 tsp ginger

      Mix the cream cheese and spices together first, then add in pumpkin pie mix, then sugar. Serve with ginger cookies!

      Delete
  4. We do the same thing every year but since I'm the cook I decided I want to add in some new things. On Friday I'm hoping there are not a bunch of horrible comments about me on Facebook.

    I do wish someone would pay me to sat at home and watch the Food Network. Any takers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog!
    New follower!
    Follow me back?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know The Food Network ruins diets...buts it so much fun to watch. I LOVE sweet potato, cranberries, and stuffin. I LOVE STUFFING. I can eat it everyday mixed with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think part of dieting should include less Food Network too lol It's just too obsessive! We usually take turns on who hosts Thanksgiving every year so the menu is always slightly different... and there is always cake because my birthday is around the same time so I always spend it with the fam ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!