The Sick Cycle

Loveys, it's sooo winter at my house. By winter, I mean the time of year when my kids start a constant cycle of runny noses, and coughs, and as Ashtyn calls it "the sneezes and the hiccups." Linc had a fever nearing 102 for about 3 of the days we were in Virginia. If it's not chickenpox, it's fever! So we got home Monday night and by Tuesday night, Ashtyn was waking up around midnight crying uncontrollably. She was too upset to really tell us what was wrong. But by this afternoon, it was obvious. She would cry and hold both ears, and yell and cry when she swallowed anything. So she wasn't wanting to eat or drink anything. I made a doctor appointment for early evening. Poor thing is running a low-grade fever and her ears and throat are hurting something awful. So she'll be on meds and ear drops for the next few days. The doctor mentioned that we should try to keep Ashtyn away from Lincoln.

Sure thing. (That was sarcasm if you didn't catch it.) Sigh. Well, it's that time of year, they say.

Did I tell you that we got on our flight from Chicago to Denver without any milk? It was like 7 o'clock and Linc was already fussy. But I was sure they would have milk on the plane so I didn't buy any during our short layover. We get settled in the very last row on the enormous plane and ask the flight attendant for milk, and he tells us (sadly) that they don't serve milk. I just kept asking him for milk like a crazy person in denial. Then it sunk in. We would be on a two hour flight, with a fussy baby, and only water to give him. What was I thinking? Why didn't I buy milk? It's one of those moments where you're moving in slow motion. Jeff and I just look at each other, silently saying, It's going to be a long, painful plane ride.

Thank the Lord it wasn't that bad. Linc was so exhausted that he fell asleep without too much fussiness. And I'm thankful that there aren't any plane rides for me and the children in the immediate future.

Next on my list of things to do is to put up our Christmas tree. Here's my dilemma: How do you keep a fifteen-month-old from pulling off ornaments and lights? The year that Ash was this age, we didn't put up a tree because we flew to Texas for Christmas. But we're having company this year, and even if we weren't, I would want a tree. Short of placing gates around it, though, I don't know how on earth I'll keep Linc from pulling it down. Ideas, moms? What's your secret?


5 comments

  1. Welcome back! Sorry to hear of the kiddos being sick (we're a sickly household, too). Tis the season!

    That's crazy that the plane didn't have milk. They always have milk. What's this world coming to?!

    As for the tree, we have an artificial tree that I used to put up prior to kids. Last year was the first year that we had come up with an alternate plan because both kids were at that age. We left the artificial tree in storage and purchased a 3ft real tree and placed it up on a side table so that the kids couldn't reach. It worked like a charm. The only downside was that the presents were not exactly under the tree - rather spread out on the floor under the table. :) Not sure what our plan for this year will be... I'm leaning towards the dragging out the artificial and fighting the battle of keeping little sticky hands and fingers off of it. :)

    Sending you healing thoughts and prayers!

    AH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a new follower from the Aloha Hop and your blog is really wonderful! I love your writing style sincerely look forward to your future posts!

    Cheers,
    Tess
    http://inlovebythebeach.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. argh i think it is happening here tooo. BOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a bummer for me to see my babies in discomfort. When I got home from work, my son was in the bed sleeping (I got home at six and he's 15 years old), he's never in the bed that early, I knew right away that he wasn't feeling well :( He has a fever and all... I can totally relate to you honey. I wish there was something I could do to make it go away, he's so miserable right now (I better stop here before I write an entire post in your comments box). I hope your little one is feeling better now.

    I'm a new follower from the Aloha hop, come by my place sometime if you feel like chatting :-)

    www.perfectlyimperfektme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, so sorry with all those runny nose and coughs:( hope they feel better...

    you might want to try to fence around your christmas tree, just enough for your kid not to reach the ornaments...goodluck!

    dropping by from aloha friday blog hop, come visit/follow me back at:
    http://homefor4sweethome.blogspot.com/

    huggies***
    rea

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!