12 Days of Christmas. I mean TILL Christmas.



It's that time again! Can it really be Friday? Gosh, this week has flown by. In fact, December is flying by and I sometimes feel like it's leaving me behind. So much has been going on with the Bruce family. Do you realize we're 12 days out from Christmas? I'm serious! I'm starting to hum "On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me . . ." Do you know where the whole "12 Days of Christmas" idea came from? Well, my mother gave me a picture book with the story behind the song. Here's the thing: A long time ago it was decided that Jesus' birth would be celebrated on December 25th. The 12th day after Christmas (January 6th) was chosen as the day to honor the visit of the wise men to Jesus. That day was called Epiphany. And back in the day (I'm talking WAY back in the day) the 12 days in between were filled with festivals, including a big party on the Twelfth Night. Cool, right?

If you want to check out the book, it's called The 12 Days of Christmas by Helen Haidle. I'm all about Christmas stories. Here are a few others we like at my house:

 
(This one was actually a book my mom read to me when I was little. It was such a special book to me that I tracked it down and bought it on Amazon this year so I'd have a copy to read to my kids. I think it's actually been updated and repackaged as The Town That Forgot about Christmas. But the original is near and dear to my heart. Do you have any special stories from childhood that you want to share with your children? If so, please share titles! I love hearing about great kids' books

18 comments:

  1. following you via Aloha blog hop...
    please follow me back..
    http://fashionwithfitness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books are all new to me! I need to add them to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe there are only 12 days left until Christmas! I'm not ready!!! I just got that Berenstain Bears and the Nutcracker book for my kiddos. =0)
    I'm your newest GFC follower, here from the hop. I think I'm gonna like it here.
    ~Kim
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww. I love Winnie The Pooh! :)

    Thank you for hosting this Blog Hop. I am really enjoying hopping around these wonderful blogs. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lovely, I'm your new follower from Blog Hop.
    Love your awesome blog. Feel free to check out & follow my blog @ www.revampspunkyrena.com
    xoxo
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, i'm following the "farmgirl friday blog hop" i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you like it.

    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks
    new follower bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm already following but am visiting from the hop.

    Excellent book selections! I Love Christmas stories for the little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog from the aloha blog hop....love it! Please check out mine, too: www.rachelroaming.blogspot.com! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Linking up for Dec. 20th's Aloha Friday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dropping in from the hop and following via GFC:)
    I would also love to invite you to share any of your favorite posts at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop (no rules and goes live on Thursdays at 7pm mst)

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great books! Visiting from the Aloha Hop. Your newest follower. Would love to see you at http://www.feralturtle.com Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. books are my favorite gifts to give and to get!!
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aloha! I just followed you from the hop. Great books! I remember some from when i was a child.
    Hope you can visit my blog too. Happy Holidays!

    -Ditas
    http://www.henrysmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I found you on the blog hop and am your newest follower! I was kinda sorta hopin' that you'd pop on by and follow me back!

    xoxo-
    Sarah
    www.enjoyingtheepipany.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found you through the Aloha Blog hop. I love the Christmas books you have on here. I haven't heard of a couple of them. Going to see if i can find them. thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Thanks for co-hosting!

    http://thetravelin-gineer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello found your blog through the link up.
    Those Christmas books are adorable, I remember reading some of those as a child. I hope to learn more about you and I look forward to following you.
    Happy Holidays

    somethingaboutyounme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!