Baby, It's Cold Outside


Brrr! It's been frigid over here in Colorado, loveys! Not that I'm sad about it. But I am cold. We had beautiful snow on Christmas Eve and you can't ask for better than that. We had snow tonight too. While, to me, snow makes things even more Christmassy, it also makes things freezing and is nice to watch from inside a warm house.

You might be wondering if the Grinch--I mean the flu--stayed for Christmas, and yes, he did. People are on the mend but no one's well in my family. Coughs keep coming from me and my sisters and Jeff and Ash and even my mom now. Only my dad was untouched by sickness, and now he's off to Texas (or as he calls it, the Gloryland. :)

Despite all the runny noses and coughs, we had a nice Christmas with tons of good food and fun presents.
 
So we've all been taking medicine around the clock for what feels like a week! Anyway, back to Christmas. Jeff was really, really sick on Christmas Day. I think that was his worst day. Christmas Eve was the worst for Ashtyn, and I started feeling blah the day after Christmas. But I'm thankful I was still feeling okay on Christmas. With all the cooking and cleaning I was doing, the flu was the last thing I needed. Thankfully I had a house full of sisters and a mother to help with everything. I needed all the help I could get. We had a fantastic ham and dressing and green-bean casserole and mashed potatoes and rolls and brussel sprouts and yams and pistachio salad--enough to feed an army. I did a red and green table this Christmas and was so happy with how it turned out. See above! Also, I made a Reeses peanut-butter cup cheesecake. Ashtyn loved her presents and had so much fun announcing to everyone who came into our house that Santa ate all his cookies. :) Very thrilling. :)
 
I'm telling you, sick or not, Christmas was fun. I love being with my family. We turned on Christmas music and exchanged gifts (Lincoln slept through a lot of that). And then we all went to see the Hobbit! (Well, Jeff was too sick and he stayed home with the kids.) The movie theater was packed. I sat sandwiched between my dad and Sara and I kept thinking about how happy I was and how much I love holidays with my family (and how guilty I felt for leaving Jeff with the kids. But he insisted! He's just great like that.). The movie was wonderful. (For all my North and South sisters, Mr. Thornton is the cutest dwarf ever.)
 
Today I really started to feel the reality that Christmas is over and won't be back for a year. That's always sad. It's a busy, crazy time of year and I know I can't keep up the Christmas schedule forever, but it's so nice while it's here that it's sad to see it go. And it's not pleasant to think of all the work ahead of putting away the Christmas stuff. But that's just how it goes. And honestly, we need Christmas. The true meaning of Christmas is good for the soul.
 
How was your Christmas?
 


16 comments

  1. Our Christmas was great - you can check out a more indepth look at www.momFITtingitallin.com

    Somehow I came down with a horrible stomach virus or something so the actual day wasn't so good but other then that it went really good.

    We had cold weather and rain so it made us Cali people feel good but wishing I was in Colorado. Searching for a new job - maybe in Colorado!

    Hope you all feel better
    Sharee'
    www.momFITtingitallin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everyone is feeling a little bit better today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also cannot stand putting away Christmas decorations. The house always looks so sad after ;(.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your Christmas was great despite the sickness! I think mostly everyone I know had some flu hit the house right around Christmastime. My youngest got sick the week before Christmas, but everyone was good before the festivities! I had a lovely Christmas myself and am now enjoying a relaxing week off, kicking back, and living in my pajamas this week! I have a feeling my decorations will be up into February at my current rate of laziness!

    Stopping by from Aloha Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a wonderful blog!! I'm your newest follower from the “Aloha Friday” blog hop - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower from the blog hop! Love your blog & can't wait to get to know you more :) Have a great day!
    Rachel
    http://sugar-stripes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello found you via the ahola blog hop on what jean likes, I am a newbie mummy blogger and I blog over at Mammy Needs Sleep! Here you can find out a bit more about me and my blog http://mammyneedssleep.blogspot.co.uk/p/about-me_27.html and you can also find me on twitter too

    @MammyNeedsSleep

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  8. New follower! Nice to meet you!

    Deandra
    http://chaos-commotion-emotion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brandy,
    I love reading about your description of Colorado in the winter. I also love that Reeses peanut butter cup cheesecake. Oh my goodness. I love, love, love cheesecake. It was my carry-on bag on a flight one time. That's how much I love cheesecake. Did you post the recipe? I'm gonna go look.
    I'm your newest follower from Aloha Friday Blog Hop.

    Karina
    www.momintheusa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about being sad that Christmas is over, it is such a crazy and wonderful holiday...and especially with kids now, I definitely appreciate everything so much more! But sounds like you had a great holiday, even in spite of the flu!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stumbled across your page and loved your posts, followed you when I saw you on the blog hop.
    Hope you get the chance to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year. I found you through Aloha Blog Hop. Stop by and say hi when you get a minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear you were sick over Christmas ... everyone at my house was too; but like you, we made the best of it. New follower from the Aloha Friday... and happy to be one! Happy New Year! jules

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI! I found your cute blog on the Aloha hop! Would love a visit from you over at Moms Surviving Kids!
    hugs,
    Megan@ www.momssurvivingkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aloha new follower from blog hop

    http://thisdayilove.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Brandy, its Niki from A real life Military wife, changed my blog name and all that. I am glad you were able to have a good Christmas despite the sick germs.

    I hope you all have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!