What is it about family photos?


The rest of that question actually goes like this: What is it about family photos that makes you crazy? So awhile back I bought a groupon for a family photo session. (Just so you know, the above photo is not part of that. My sister Laura took that picture on Thanksgiving.) So Friday was the day to redeem the groupon. By the way, that's one of those frustrating things about groupon. By the time you're supposed to use it, you've forgotten all about it and no longer really feel like doing it. Anyway, back to our picture day. So I had to work Friday morning and Ashtyn has been very sick so Jeff stayed home that morning with both kids.

I finish work and rush back home, where Jeff is obviously frustrated that he hasn't been able to get any work done that morning. His afternoon is shot because we have to go have our pictures done at 2:00. I can already tell that this is not the greatest day for pictures. It's also the only day we can do it before Christmas so it's happening. I tell Jeff to just go ahead and dress for the picture, go to his office and work for an hour and we'll pick him up on the way. This was very generous of me because that meant I had to get myself, Ashtyn, and Lincoln all ready and pretty for pictures. Not easy. The shirt I bought for Ashtyn to wear is huge and she's swimming in it, so that's out and I need to find something else. Meanwhile, Linc's shirt is for someone about six months younger than him--so yeah, it's a tight squeeze. But he's wearing it, that's not changeable. I'm wearing my gray sweater that I love, I'm also sweating to death.

It's one of those moments where you buckle the kids in the car (exhausting) then realize you forgot the diaper bag on the kitchen table. You run in and get it and return to the garage. Oh wait, you also forgot the bag with hair spray and make-up. Geez Louise. You run in and get it. You finally get on the road--by the way, you're still sweating because your car does not have AC.

We made it to Jeff's office and I realize that he doesn't have carseats in his car. Remember me mentioning that my car is held together with scotch tape? Yeah, I really thought we should be driving his car across town, rather than mine. This throws more frustration into the moment as Jeff now has to move both carseats to his car. FINALLY, we are on our way to the photography place. We find it and we're right on time so we're ushered in and sent to a little room for all of us to just freshen up and do whatever. I am already feeling annoyed with my bangs. So, I spray the dog out of them (I'm from Texas. We talk like that.), causing Jeff to cough like he's dying. Tension is running high in that little room. Linc is banging on the mirror and Ash is all over the place. We get out of there and meet the photographer and we're ushered out to the back where they have a place set up for pictures.

Right. Now it's time for the four of us to squeeze together and smile and be the happiest family in Colorado. First things first, a yellow jacket lands on Ashtyn's hand and she's screaming. I'm freaking out too, but then I remember that I'm the mom so I have to do something, and I knock it away. We are sitting on the tiniest bridge on Earth, tilting this way and that, smiling and more smiling. Then it's over. He took pictures for about 15 minutes, tops. I'm feeling a little skeptical that he was able to get a good shot in that amount of time. And wondering why everything feels rushed when it's supposed to be an hour-long session. The photographer tells me that it's hard to get kids to cooperate longer than that and he's confident he got some great shots. Hmm. We'll see, I guess. We go back out to the car.

All that stress and sweating for fifteen minutes. Gosh, I hope they turn out good.

Doesn't it seem like on days like this, where you have to take family photos and smile and look as happy and loving as possible, things always seem to be stressful? It's like getting ready for the school Christmas program. You look forward to it and you're so excited, but getting ready for it on the big night turns your house into a war zone.

I'm really glad we had pictures taken. It's something I've been meaning to do since Lincoln was born, and he's now 16 months old. Once we were back in the car, Jeff reached over and held my hand and we were all breathing easier and feeling fine and happy. But taking pictures (especially with kids) is on my list of stressful-but-necessary things. What about you? Have you found this to be true in your family's experience?

On another note, loveys, I want to do a Christmas surprise package giveaway, like my autumn surprise package. So I'll be posting about that this week. Definitely check back by and sign up for it! I mean, who doesn't want to receive a package filled with Christmas cheer? :)

15 comments

  1. Love the pictures of your beautiful family! Those things are ALWAYS stressful. Look forward to seeing how the professional ones turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that picture. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family photos I cherish them and I love them BUT something always happens - a kid gets a scratch or a cold {our daughter was a big trooper this year} however the thanksgiving one looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to get the courage, and time, to get family pictures.... ugh, we squeeze the occasional one here and there with someone snapping us but never a professional session, boo! Glad you got it done, even with a tough start of the day... can't wait to see them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures your sister took look great!!! I hope you get some good shots from the professional guy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly, I don't care how "good" a photographer he claimed to be but you paid for an hour long session and even if it was through Groupon, he should have given you the full hour. I know how stressful it is to take kids' photos. I do it all the time and you know what? Sometimes if you give kids a chance to relax, it can become a really mellow photo shoot. Kids get really hyper when forced to sit down and smile so I try that first but if they're restless I give them a few toys I bring to play with and back off and take candids when they don't realize I'm shooting and when they're in a good mood, I have the parents get them in the specific pose they want and snap a dozen or so "typical portraits". Funny thing is that parents often cherish the candids with their kids just as much if not more than the "typical portrait". I'd ask that guy for a partial refund, even if they photos turned out amazing. Your sister did a great job though!! Lovely family photos. I just can't stand when people rip other people off. They should provide the service they promised! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Family photos always melt my heart. You have a lovely family with great smiles. I am following you from the hop and would love for you to follow along.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/12/guardian-angel-working-overtime.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. since they are so hard to get done, i just haven't. =\
    new follower, follow back? :D
    http://www.theeclecticgrabbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos:) Thanks for hosting the Aloha blog hop! New follower:)
    Brittney
    http://beautybybrittney02.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Followed via hawaii friday blog hop :)

    Aw I love the name Ashtyn for a girl! Family photos are amazing, I can't wait to have a family of my own and take them.

    Summer x

    ohsummercandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off, I love your children's names! So strong & awesome. I know exactly what you mean about big events turning into stressful ones! It always seems to happen that way. I've never taken pictures will kids so I can only imagine. But your little family is adorable! :) Found you via the Aloha Blog Hop.
    xoxo,
    Nikki at www.bedazzlesafterdark.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cute blog! Your kids are adorable!! Found you through the blog hop :)
    -Kelly (your newest follower)
    http://www.blartblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so not a fan of family picture taking. It takes FOREVER to get just 1 good shot! And I have to agree about those darn groupons. They suck you in, but who has time to redeem them all right away? I have 3 I need to redeem by the end of the month and the lack of time to do so lol.

    Thanks for co-hosting the hop this week. I am happy to be your newest follower :)
    Theresa
    Theresa’s Mixed Nuts

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh no way! you paid for an hour. its hard enough to get all the littles into position and make sure they didn't manage to get dirty in the course of the last 30 seconds.
    we take awkward family photos on purpose instead of even trying because it never seems to turn out and instead of being disappointed at least we all get a good laugh. your kids are adorable so i'm sure you will have some good photos.
    i'm linking up with y'all at and happy to be your newest follower. come by and visit me sometime and happy aloha friday girl!
    www.kendrakaypahukoa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! Stopping by from "What Jean Likes" blog hop...glad I found your blog, now following you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!