A New Year's Post . . . In Retrospect, Sort Of



How in the world did it get to be 2013? It feels like it was only 2012 hours ago! Oh wait, it was only hours ago. But here we are. Another year past, another year begun. I can tell you that this is really the first New Year's that's made me begin to feel as though time is slipping past me faster than I can keep up. My sister Laura and I have been looking through photos of Ashtyn this morning. Seeing how much she's changed in four years almost makes me dizzy. There's also been a lot of talk lately about the fact that Jeff and I will be celebrating our ten year anniversary in February. Ten years. That made me realize that I've now been out of college for ten years too. Ten years.

Slow down. Take a breath. (I'm talking to myself here, loveys.)

As I'm sitting here, I really am thinking over this past year. 2012. What did it look like for me? I turned 33. My daughter turned four. My son turned one. I edited three book projects combined with other work. I had some difficult months. I had priceless moments with my children. My husband's father passed away. That's (losing a parent, I mean) a first for us and it's scary and devastating. My best friend's mother died. That was heartbreaking. One of my best girlfriends from high school was diagnosed with breast cancer. She and I are the same age. Jeff, the kids, and I went to Virginia to see my parents' new home. Just the fact that 'home' for my parents is now Virginia and not Texas is still sometimes hard to believe. But it's been a good change and I love seeing them happy and settled in a great place. This was our second Christmas in our new home. That was great. And I've made some wonderful friendships in the past year and that's been a blessing.

And now, here we are. Starting 2013. Shouldn't we be having robot maids and driving flying cars by now? Well, we're not quite there yet. But last night as I had minestrone soup at my sister Sara's house and then watched Sense and Sensibility with my mother and my sisters, I started thinking about my resolutions for the new year. What do I want 2013 to look like?
 
  • I want to be a good mother. Almost everything comes down to that for me because it's the most important role in my life.
  • I want to deepen my faith in God and find a great devotional to read through. (Ideas anyone?)
  • I want my marriage to keep growing stronger. I feel like after 10 years, maybe we don't try as hard to nurture that relationship. But I know we need to and it's one of my goals. We're comfortable, of course. But we need to give our relationship the attention it needs to keep growing.
  • I want to write more. Maybe this means writing another novel or just starting to write some online articles, but whatever that looks like, I feel the desire in my heart to write.
  • I want new floors in my house. Okay, so that's not a deep one. Still! It's not a bad goal.
  • I want Jeff to finish our basement. (He does too.)
  • I want to work on being kind every day (not all day, you understand. Just working in more kindness in my daily life. I'm thinking realistically here).
  • I want to call my parents more often.
  • I want to see both my grandmothers this summer.
  • I want to eat healthier. (Maybe that's not a want. More of a should.)
That's all I can think of for now, loveys. Now tell me, what's your resolution? What's on your heart for next year?

6 comments:

  1. I want to be more kind too! That is why I'm doing #26Acts. Every day I want to do one kind thing. I want to start the year out right.

    Happy New Year. 10 years of marriage. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. Cute blog, I can't wait to read more!
    -Melanie@ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great resolutions, including the floors... hey why not?, I'm going to try my best to make and spend more time with my parents and family as my resolution.

    What are your plans for your 10 year anniversary? make it a good one!!!

    Happy 2013 to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl... 10 years is amazing! You're doing it right!
    And you are such a fun mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 10 years! I share some of your same resolutions for the year... Family, faith, and a little desire for home. Life is a crazy little thing that keeps moving when we aren't watching. Sometimes I wish it could slow down sometimes or perhaps even rewind some.... Happy Twenty Thirteen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post - and great goals for the new year! I just discovered your blog through the hop, I'm now following on GFC and can't wait to read more!

    Lauren x
    www.stylelixir.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!