Thank Yous and Such

 
So tell me this, did you have to write thank-you notes when you were little? I, for sure, did. I'm not sure when the thank-you note writing started for me, but it was probably very soon after I could write. I remember my mom sitting Sara and me down after every birthday or Christmas and having us write our thank-you notes. And it stuck. I spent time writing Christmas thank-yous today and thought about how I've been writing these kinds of notes for what seems like forever. It does seem like rather a lost art though. Letter writing used to be way more frequent. It's understandable that it's not anymore, of course. Why waste stamps or paper when we can call or text or email or Facebook message? I'm pretty active online, so I try to do my corresponding via email mostly. But there's just something about the thank-you note that doesn't seem to go out of style. Or maybe it's just so ingrained in me that I start to twitch if too much time passes after Christmas without me sending out a thank-you note. It's not that it's the most convenient thing to do, but somehow, I feel like people recognize how grateful you really are if you take the time to send a note (or an online message--I never seem to have stamps around anymore).

I definitely plan to pass on the thank-you-note writing tradition to Ashtyn and Lincoln. At the moment, Ashtyn's handwriting looks oddly similar to Arabic, so I'm thinking we'll start in a few years. But I think it's worth passing on. What about you? Do you think writing thank-you notes is something the next generation will leave behind? I know that I never give a gift with an expectation of a thank-you letter. But it is nice to receive one.

Speaking of Miss Ashtyn, so Jeff heated up a frozen mac-n-cheese meal for her at lunch today. He didn't realize until he opened it that there were tiny jalapeno pieces in it, but once he did, he tried to take out most of them for her before she sat down to eat. He overlooked a few though. When Ashtyn found one, she cried out, "Daddy, why did you leave plants in my food?!"  :) Adorable. The kids are really at such a fun stage. I wish I could record them but it's hard to catch the hilarious moments because you never know when they're coming. I need to record Ashtyn's prayers, though, because they're so sweet. They're almost always exactly the same. This is what she says usually:
      "Thank you for this love. Thank you for this food. Thank you for our friends. Thank you for God's birthday. Thank you for God protecting us. And AAAAAAMEN."  Precious, I know. Lincoln is trying to talk a little more. Mostly he says "Ba-ba" when he wants something (usually the bottle). But he's started referring to his blanket as "B." He loves to just follow Ashtyn around. Tonight Ashtyn said loudly, "Linc, I know you want me, but I need to be alone!" So cute.

Well, after all the flu-ness we endured during Christmas, Jeff has now come down with a sinus infection and I think I have one too. Sinus pressure and congestion. It's been a winter filled with doctor bills over here, I'm telling you. Here's hoping we start to get back to normal next week!

3 comments

  1. Yes - I always send thank you notes in the mail. It's important!! And all this reminds me, I need to send one to my Grandma for her Christmas gift.

    Hope you get to feeling well soon, friend!

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always send a thank you note to my grandfather for his Christmas and birthday gifts for the boys. I am the only grandchild out of four that are still in his good graces. I love hearing what kids say, they always make me smile.

    I hope you both feel better soon!

    Feel free to send me an email anytime. :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thank you notes, I always grew up doing them and always will.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!