Donuts for Dessert

Let me just confess to you now that I love donuts. Really. They're one of my go-to sugars for happiness. :) So the other evening I was thinking about what I was going to serve for the playdate we were having with friends the next morning. I wanted something sweet to go along with the breakfast casserole I was going to make. It was the night before and I was looking through my pantry and finding nothing that could pass for sweet breakfast food. Then it hit me that I had canned biscuits. My sister Laura used to make these little donut holes when we lived back in Texas that were really good. She'd take canned biscuits, cut them into fourths, roll them into balls, dip them in butter, then roll them in cinnamon and sugar, and pop them into the oven.

Yum.

So that was an option. But I wondered for a second if I could make real donuts with canned biscuits. Thanks to Paula Deen, the answer was yes. The end result was super yummy donuts that are the easiest thing in the world to make. It's the kind of thing I know I'll be making when I'm desperate for dessert but don't have the ingredients for anything else. I almost always have canned biscuits in our fridge.

SO, here's what you do. Get a plastic bottle cap and press it into the center of a biscuit. Voila! You've got the makings of both a donut and a donut hole. Pour vegetable oil in a pan until it's hot enough to sizzle (but not so much that it's going to pop all over the place and start a fire).

Put your donuts in the oil and use tongs to turn them over as they get brown. This was kind of tricky. My first batch was completely doughy. So I started watching them closer, turning them a few times to get them evenly cooked all the way through.

As for the glaze, I put one cup of powdered sugar in a bowl, with two tbsp of milk and 1/2 tsp of vanilla. Stir that up and you've got a delicious glaze.

I dropped the donuts in the bowl and coated them with glaze. Seriously. Delicious. Jeff's not even as crazy about donuts as I am and he couldn't get enough. Try it! You'll love it!


7 comments

  1. That is such a cute idea! My dad gave me a deep fryer a little while ago and I was so eager to play with it but had nothing to use and it was like biscuits! And deep fried biscuits are awesome too. I'll have to try them as donuts, my husband loves donuts. :)

    Danielle
    http://kalamityjanekosmetics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OM Gosh...those look so darn good!! I seriously am going to have to try this. I LOVE donuts!!

    Laura@MiceInTheKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made these before and they are absolutely delicious! I usually keep Pillsbury biscuits in my refrigerator for when I need this divine treat!

    Xoxo,
    Missy

    http://colorthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breakfast casserole ! Wht on earth goes it to one of thoses it sounds like something I'd love to have ! The doughnuts look great too! Sometimes stored away in our memories can be some little gem's :-). I'd like to invite you to the Saturday Bloggy Takeaway to link up your blog.

    http://goo.gl/fbWXW

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look tasty tempting! I'm visiting today from the ALOHA hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yum.. what a great way to do it!

    we usually quarter them, deep fry and roll in brown sugar or powder sugar-- yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those doughnuts looks great! I found you through the Aloha Friday blog hop and am your newest follower through Networked Blogs.
    Take a look at my blog when you are in need of a laugh.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!