Lost Car Keys and Working on Thursdays

I had a list of things I wanted to get done tonight while Jeff was out playing basketball. After he left, I gave Ash her shower and gave Linc a bottle and got both kids off to bed and fell into my own bed. With the little energy I could muster, I pulled the blanket over me and watched 20 minutes of the Kardashians without moving.


How is it that I have all these good intentions of things to do once my kids go to sleep, but all I can do is blink while the Kardashians live out their drama? I think sometimes I don't realize how tired I am at the end of the night. Today started off with me getting the kids ready for daycare, putting dinner in the crockpot, realizing at the last minute that I can't find my car keys, calling Jeff in frustration who answers me in frustration and so I am forced to hang up on him while I'm looking desperately for keys (yes, that can still happen 10 years into marriage). The time is ticking by and I've got an important meeting at 9 am. I find the keys under the pile of jackets on the stairs, call Jeff and tell him I'm sorry I hung up on him. Lucky for me, he understands how hectic my morning has become and he hates being late to meetings too. He's on his way back to the house to help me and tells me we need to switch cars anyway. I meet him in town and we switch cars and I get to the office just in time to make my meeting. Then I have to leave work early because Jeff needs me to pick up the kids from daycare today. I forget the bottle that I put in the fridge at the office so Linc cries the whole way home, wanting his bottle. (This is an uncool habit Jeff has got him into. Must work on this.) We get home, Linc takes a 2 and a half hour nap (blessedness), and Ash and I have fun baking a cake and watching Disney movies all afternoon.


Later, Jeff leaves to play b-ball, and now I'm thinking tomorrow sounds like a better time for those things I wanted to do tonight. I don't always work on Thursdays so my schedule feels off when I have to go in. But that's OK. Tomorrow's Friday. The weekend is here and we don't have any plans, which is so nice. Last weekend was really full and I was just recuperating from being sick the week before. For this weekend, all I know is that I want to make enchiladas one night and rent movies.

I was thinking earlier about how often I switch gears. For example, at the meeting this morning. I go from changing diapers and serving oatmeal (and being frustrated and losing my cool when my keys are lost in the oblivion---there's always the fear that Linc has thrown whatever's missing away) to sitting around a conference table as a group of us talk with one of our new authors and I share my vision for the project we're undertaking. That's what I call switching gears. Well, it certainly keeps things interesting anyway. Thankfully, not every morning is so hectic. But when it comes to family life, hectic happens. 

1 comment

  1. I am thankful for all those hectic days. It makes the calm ones sooooo amazing. :) Thanks for sharing yours. I am dropping by and a new follower from the Aloha Friday Blog Hop. I hope you can visit. :) Hope your weekend is nice and relaxing. http://heresmytakeonit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!