Storytellers

 
Today in church our pastor talked about the fact that God is writing the story of each of our lives. For me, someone who's basically obsessed with reading stories and someone who loves writing stories--the message just connected with me. He talked about whether we're living lives that are worth telling the story. I know that at this stage in my life, my days can seem monotonous. I go to work three mornings a week. The rest of the time I'm usually with my kids. We've got daycare and church and playdates--these things make up the most of our time.

I know. It doesn't sound all that exciting.

But honestly, I know that these days make up an important story. I think back over my childhood and it's a mix of church and school and nights at home that make up my memories. And they're good memories. Right now, that's what we're doing with Linc and Ash. All these days of snack time, nap time, cartoon time, coloring time, and snack time again are making up my children's childhood. I like this story I'm living. Our pastor talked about wasting a life by spending energy wanting things. People spend years wanting a certain car or focusing on getting something or going somewhere. I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in wanting something and allowing that to be a more important focus than it should be.

Doesn't that sound sad though? To spend years just wanting something like a car?

I think all stories have highlights--you know, those climactic moments. Then there are the slower moments. That's so like life.

I love movies about writers. I suppose that's because in my heart, I love to write. Movies like Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Becoming Jane, Letters to Juliet--these movies reach me. In church today, the pastor told us to take a moment to talk to the person next to us and ask them what their favorite movie is and why. Jeff was next to me. He turned to look at me, and I said:

"I already know your favorite movies and I know why they're your favorites."

He smiled and waited for me to continue.

"Rocky, Cinderella Man, and Field of Dreams."

"Why are they my favorites?" he asked.

Hmm. "Because all the guys' dreams come true."

It's that, but it's more than that and I understand. Jeff loves those three movies. You could add Rudy to the list. Hoosiers. National Treasure. He loves Clint Eastwood movies but that's because he associates those with his dad. I know which movies he really, really likes and I know why. What do his favorite movies say about him? They tell me that Jeff loves stories about overcoming odds to reach a goal. What do my favorite movies say about me? (That I'm a typical girl who's a sucker for Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy.)


What do your favorite stories say about you? What is it about them that you love? If you look at the story of your life, do you like it? Do you like yourself in it?

I think I want to be more intentional about my story. It's the only one I've got. I want it to be worth telling. Or worth remembering. And it's in these days--the fast and slow ones as I raise my children--that I want to remember so much.

No comments

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!