What day is it? . . . and crossing bridges


Loveys, my inner clock and calendar are starting to get crazy. I've told you all that my work schedule can go up and down like a rollercoaster. When it comes to my current rollercoaster, I'm at the top of the dropoff with my hands in the air at the moment. Things are about to get loud.

In the midst of this chaos, this weekend Jeff and I decided that the Bruces needed some family time. Sunday after church we took off to spend the afternoon at the Denver Aquarium and then followed that up with dinner at Casa Bonita (a place with not the greatest Mexican food but it does have twinkle lights everywhere and a guy wearing a gorilla costume who dives into water. It also has sopapillas, of which I probably ate six with honey. #Guilt).


The truth is, family time trumps chaos. Even when things get busy, I need time with my husband and my kids. Every Sunday night, Jeff and I watch Game of Thrones together. It's one of my favorite times of the week. I love knowing that no matter what, we've got a date on the couch together. I'm hoping for a real honest-to-goodness date night out soon since Iron Man 3 is releasing this weekend and I so want to see it asap.

Here's something that's been on my mind lately: it's Ashtyn's last summer before she starts kindergarten (and at that point, she will be in school for years and years). This makes me a little sad. Of course, she's been in part-time daycare for a long time now, so it's not as though she hasn't had any schooling. And kindergarten these days is like 3 hours a day. Seriously! I know I went for longer than that when I was a kid!

Anyway . . .  but it is a bridge she's crossing. She's going to real school. And you go to real school for a really long time. I talked to my sister Laura recently and she was talking about classes and schoolwork and she's almost twenty years old.

This summer is all that stands between Ashtyn and school supply lists.

For some reason, that just tugs at my heart.

Was it difficult for you when your little one went off to kindergarten? In some ways I'm excited for her and it will free up a few mornings for me. But in other ways, I want to just sit down and be still and soak up these moments before she's in real school. And with all the scary things that have gone on in this country lately (school shootings, I mean), I will admit to you that I'm a little frightened to let her go. This mother-love for my kids is just such a powerful thing. I'm thankful to experience it. I'm grateful to feel the tidal wave of emotion that comes from having a child.

Really. There's just nothing like it.

Do you ever just want to freeze-frame a moment in your life? A moment that you know you'll never get back? These days go by quickly. Especially the rollercoaster months. I mentioned the other day that our lives are telling a story to the people around us. This has been all over my thoughts lately. As I get older, it's more important to me that my story is one that honors God and one that my kids will love. Here's what I mean. There was this guest speaker at our church Sunday. He was an older man; his mother died a few years ago at the age of 100. He was talking about her in this way that made me want to cry. He was just sharing her story with us because it meant the world to him. She meant the world to him. He was so influenced by her faith. Her story wasn't perfect, of course. Life takes us in all kinds of directions. But she was a woman of faith. A woman of integrity. Gosh, I want Ashtyn and Lincoln to see me that way when they are grown.

I think making time for family even amid a busy life is so important. After all, family makes life beautiful.





2 comments

  1. I remember pausing to look around my apartment after hanging up with my doctor who had just told me to get my pregnant self to the hospital. I recall thinking - "My life will be forever changed in the next hours."

    When my children were young, I stopped often, as you have, to take emotional Polaroids of a moment, an irretrievable stage, a look, a scent, a sound. Even now, my son is 24, my daughter 20 and when they are both at my table, laughing with my husband, I inhale their presence, knowing that soon they will have their own tables, maybe far from this nest they've outgrown.

    Pause and drink it in. It's a rich and brave thing you do, launching children into space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 1st day of kindie is such a bittersweet day for parents. It is one honorable day that we'll never forget.
    :)
    Tracy G.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!