Memorial Day ReCap

Hi Loveys! How did you spend your Memorial Day? I hope it was lovely. Here's a little snapshot of our day:
Delicious, right!? We spent the day at our new friends' the Santiago's home. They're a part of our journey group through church and they needed some help painting. So we headed over to their (gorgeous!) home for Jeff to paint and for me to watch the kids. It was a good kind of day. The kind spent building relationships and sharing life. And good food was a bonus! The Santiagos grilled for us and I brought dessert. This trifle is sort of like my go-to dish for Memorial Day and July 4th. I mean, it's red, white, and blue! (I tried to explain to Ashtyn that this was a "red, white, and blue" holiday. She asked me when is the "pink and purple" holiday. Because that's the one she's ready for.)
 
So it was a nice holiday weekend for us. Jeff is getting ready to dive into our basement project. We're hoping the process of finishing the basement goes rather smoothly, but I'm thinking that's wishful thinking. There are always unexpected issues. Still, he's ready to take the plunge. Jeff's pretty handy at house projects so I'm not too worried.
 
I feel like we're really embarking on summer and I don't want to let the days get away from me. Summer goes by fast, doesn't it? I was talking with a friend recently about finding a time to get together and we penciled in a date about a month from now. On one hand, I feel like I have to be intentional about making time to spend with people; on the other hand, I feel the need to guard myself from over-extending myself. My day-planner can get full fast. But I need free mornings where the kids and I don't have anywhere to be. I need free evenings to work on all these book projects stacked up on my desk. I need time to just stay home and do laundry and clean house while Jeff works in the basement. And don't even mention time for just me and Jeff! We've got to schedule a date night in the near future.
 
But it's summer! I want to hang out with friends! I want to have people over! I want to go up to the mountains for the weekend!
 
And in my heart, I feel a voice telling me, You have to slow down. Breathe.
 
I don't really like strict routines. I like having the freedom to change things up or have a pajama day if I want to. But I'm realizing I need a routine this summer. I need a plan. What do I want to accomplish this summer?
 
I think #1 on my list is to enjoy my family. It's Ashtyn's last summer before kindergarten. I want to have some quality family time. This will mean a few weekends at home alone together, maybe taking a trip to the mountains for a night or two.
 
Whether I'm thrilled about it or not, high on my priority list has to be my workload. My project list is full for the summer. I've got a lot to get done and I have to set aside time for it.
 
I don't want to get so busy that I neglect my soul. Sara gave me this devotional for Mother's Day and I'm thrilled to jump into it. (I actually gave her a copy for Christmas and she loved it so much she bought a copy for me too!)
 
  
I want to take it easy on my husband. I don't want to give him a long list of house projects to tackle. He wants to do the basement, so I'm stepping back and letting him feel the freedom to do that. I don't need to overload him with projects I want finished. It's his summer too.

I want to be intentional about spending time with friends, but at the same time keep in mind time for my family and time for myself.

I want to enjoy desserts without guilt this summer. You only live once. :)

What do you want to accomplish this summer, Lovey? Write it down. What's #1 on your list?

2 comments

  1. I love BBQs food looks delish! :)

    Summers go by far too quickly! I haven't even thought about what I want to accomplish this summer! But I do know I want to enjoy it with family and friends!

    Have a great Tuesday!

    -Brittany
    http://brittscozycorner.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to finish Calculus and go visit my family in Colorado! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!