Sense and Sensibility . . . A Jane Austen Evening


I'm a Jane Austen fan.

In other words, I love the works by Jane Austen--Pride and Predjudice, Sense and Sensbility, Persuasion, Emma, Northanger Abbey, and Mansfield Park--and I'm fascinated by Jane Austen's life. You know, it would probably be better to say that I'm a huge fan of the movies. Of course, the movies came from the books. But if I could choose watching Pride and Predjudice or reading it, I'm going to choose Colin Firth (or Matthew McFadden, I love the newer version too!). The point is, Jane Austen wrote these six amazing novels that connect with women everywhere and never seem to go out of style. I love the characters and the storylines. Sense and Sensibility is one of my favorites. I remember when the movie came out (the Emma Thompson version) my parents bought the soundtrack because the music was so gorgeous. And I'd hear it playing all over our house, just so beautiful.

Speaking of music and Sense and Sensibility--Sense and Sensibility the Musical is playing in Denver right now and Sara and I went to see it last night. Such a fun night! For one, going to the theater is just fun. Secondly, mix together Jane Austen with the theater and you have a recipe for a wonderful night. The music was wonderful! The songs were sweet, and hilarious at times, and always heartfelt, and the acting was spot-on. Loved it. It was a gorgeous night in Denver and I wish we could have stayed for hours. And we could have, since Sara accidently put in a $20 for parking without realizing we couldn't get change. :) However, downtown after dark in Denver makes me nervous without Jeff or Nemo. What can I say? I'm scared of homeless people after dark. I pray for them, but I'm scared of them.


Are you a Jane Austen fan? Or a Jane Austen movie fan? There's just something about being home with my mother and my sisters and watching one of those delightful BBC movies that makes me happy. It's one of the things we enjoy doing together. So it's extra special in my mind because I associate it with the women in my life whom I love the most. My dad likes the movies too. He had no choice, really, seeing as he had three daughters and a wife who loved all those kinds of movies. I can hear my dad saying, "Miss Dashwood," imitating Hugh Grant's character after we all watched the movie.

Sara had a Jane Austen-themed wedding (that was so gorgeous some of her wedding photos were in a magazine!). I had to do a toast at the wedding reception. I picked her favorite quote from Sense and Sensibility (it's actually a quote by Shakespeare used in the book):

Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds
Or bends with the remover to remove
O no! It is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken


I'm thinking I should host a Jane Austen movie night at my house. Any girls out there up for it?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun!! I have never read or watched jane austen things but reading this made me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE Jane Austen! I have two of her books in beautiful cloth binding! I can read her over and over and of course the movies are sure winners!!! I bet your friends wedding was gorgeous! I think her stories are inspirational because they show the hard in life as well as the beautiful. It's about finding love when you feel it is undeserved or unwarranted or even not allowed! The books are about giving people second chances and not always accepting first judgement! I think along with Jane, charlotte bronte is an all time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote. So glad y'all got to go! Looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!