Laundry and Tea


Laura left for Texas this morning, loveys.

I'm sad.

I'm also doing laundry. I just had a quick lunch of tomato bisque (one of my faves) and a grilled muenster cheese sandwich, and Ashtyn's having reading time upstairs (in which she gets her favorite dolls and sort of reads to them on her bed). Linc's asleep. It's our second try for a nap today. The first try didn't take.

The kids and I took Laura to the airport this morning and dropped her off about 7:40, and then headed home (with Ash singing a song she wrote called "I miss Tia" all the way home. Tia means aunt in Spanish, if you didn't know. It's what we call all our aunts on my mother's side and it's what my kids call Laura. Also, the only words in the song happened to be "I miss Tia").

Now there's a load of sheets in the dryer and I'm taking a moment to enjoy the quiet and talk to you.

Laura and I went to tea yesterday and then went over to Sara's to hang out for a while. You guys know how much I love going out for tea. We had blueberry scones with lemon curd and clotted cream and the best tea ever. Every time we go I get the Scottish Caramel Toffee. It sounds heavenly and it is.


After Laura said goodbye to Sara, we headed back to my house where we tried to cram all her stuff into two small suitcases (no small challenge).


While she was packing, I'd pulled out my old, dusty handheld video camera. The kind with the little tapes. She wanted me to find an old video, but that camera is so old that it wasn't working right. But I did find an old VHS tape. The only VHS player we have is in Ashtyn's room now, and it was about 11:00 at night. Still, Laura and I crept into Ash's room, trying to be as quiet as possible, popped the video in the player to see what we could see. We couldn't listen to sound, but we watched a video with highlights from Laura's birthday (she must have been like 12 or 13), a trip out to see my grandfather, Christmas at our old house when Ashtyn was a brand-new baby, and Laura and I dancing in the kitchen. By the end of the tape, we seriously both had tears running down our faces from laughter! We were trying to laugh silently as Ash tossed and turned in her bed! Both of us could hardly breathe from silent laughter. :)

Seeing all those memories was wonderful to me . . . but a little sad. You never realize how precious moments are while you're experiencing them. It's when they're over and you look back--that's when you want them back. You want to be there again just for a glimpse. I'm so glad to have those old family tapes. I really need to organize and have them transferred to DVDs (if you've got any advice on doing that, please share!).

I also need to work on planning a birthday party for Ash. How have I waited this late? No idea. She's repeatedly said she wants a rock'n'roll mermaid party. Are. You. Kidding. Me. We'll have to work on that. I'll keep you posted.



1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this! Miss you already. Maybe you should do the pool party as the mermaid part and find a rock n roll bathing suit!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!