It's here. Autumn. No going back.


Loveys, I've held on to summer as long as possible. But yesterday I hung my fall wreath on the front door and gave in. The chilly mornings. The people giving me candy corn (I'm talking about you, Sara Hanson, and Christina Hoff and Linda Menaugh! Thank you, by the way! I feel the love and it means so much to me!). It's here. I'm not sure I can deny it any longer. We've still got some gorgeous days and greenery (thanks to the buckets of rain we've had in Colorado), but I see some leaves changing color and there's a chill in the air. Pumpkins are everywhere at the grocery stores.

Fall has arrived.

I'm ready to embrace it, I suppose. Though it has been a delicious summer and I've LOVED it. But I think I must make room in my heart for candy and costumes and pumpkins and yellow leaves and sweaters and boots. The photo above was taken just a couple of weeks ago at our friends John and June's home. We roasted marshmallows and popped popcorn and watched a movie out on the deck, bundled under blankets. Now that's delicious. If that's what fall looks like, I can take it. And I'm thinking of April's yummy zucchini bread and Nancy's warm breakfast casserole I had a few weeks ago. It all smells like autumn to me. A few friends and I are reading through Bread and Wine this fall together and planning a potluck. Mouth-watering foods and friends showing up in sweaters and candles lit at the table and soft music in the distance--I'm looking forward to all of it.

And those things make my heart glad. Which is extra nice since, to be honest, I've had a rough few days. The pain and soreness from the car accident have been coming at me with a force. There've been tears and doctor visits and feelings of being completely overwhelmed. But there have also been friends texting, asking how they can help. A sweet friend dropped off dinner this week and that was such a blessing. My sister and brother-in-law lending us their car. A package from friends arrived in the mail. All those things make emotional days lighter. Thank you, loveys. It means more than you know.

As we move into fall, I'm finding that it might just be even busier than summer. How is that possible? I don't even know. Lord, help. Here's what I do know. Busyness can overwhelm our hearts. I feel it. You probably do too. And sometimes we can lessen the load, and sometimes we just have to dig in and drive through it. On the busiest days, take a moment to focus and pray for help. Take a deep breath and drink a cup of coffee and soak up the chill in the air and the lovely sight of pumpkins on doorsteps. Squeeze in just a few minutes to text your friends and say you're thinking of them. Take that one extra minute to kiss your partner before you head in different directions. Feel the love.

Fall is beautiful. I don't want to miss it. Let's live it together.


2 comments

  1. I love this post and featured it on my Friday's Fave! http://www.adventureintodomesticland.com/2013/09/fridays-fave-35.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to all of these things about fall too! And I'm so sorry to hear about your car accident - hope you're feeling back to normal soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!