The Fall Menu


So the Jeffster seems to think I'm the only one who puts certain foods on the "fall list." I made chicken and dumplings the other day because it was feeling cool outside, and I love the smell of a big pot of chicken and dumplings cooking on an autumn day. Jeff was like, "Hallelujah! It's cold so we can finally have chicken and dumplings!"

I know I'm not the only one. Lots of us associate certain dishes with seasons. Foods like chili and beef stew are faves of mine during winter. Pumpkin pie bagels are now at Panera and I'm fighting the urge to go there every single day. I can't help it. I have true love for pumpkin pie bagels. Seriously. Pumpkin in general is a staple of fall. We've got one on our doorstep already and I love the sight of it as we walk up our sidewalk.

The truth is that I've looked at tons of delicious looking fall recipes online over the past few weeks. All kinds of soups and stews and pies and such that just shout fall and look incredible.

Alas, loveys, I'm tired.

You know when you're not just physically tired, but you feel emotionally spent? Maybe you've had a heavy heart about something. So much on your mind. People on your mind. Problems. Things others are facing. Things you are facing. It can be hard to shake off heaviness of spirit. Tonight Jeff kept saying, "Let's talk. What's going on?" And honestly, I felt too tired to talk. Have you ever been there? When you just need some quiet because you don't really want to organize your thoughts and put them into words. You're tired.

I keep thinking of that scripture verse that says, "Come to me you who are weary and I will give you rest." I'm thinking that goes deeper than just physical rest. I'm thinking it speaks to our soul. For those of us who are emotionally spent and need rest, that might be a verse we need to cling to. It's a busy season, loveys. It's okay to just take it one day at a time. It's okay if you can't try out all those recipes you keep looking at. It's okay if you can't try every Pinterest post. Keeping up can feel like a full-time job.

The leaves will change regardless. I see the gorgeous colors of fall and I think they are a gift. I don't have to do anything to enjoy it, just take it in as I drive to work or go to the grocery store. God's way of decorating is pretty amazing. Panera makes pumpkin pie bagels and I can go through the drive-thru and get a piece of fabulousness without having to cook anything. :)

One day at a time. Red and gold leaves, pumpkins in crates at the store, chicken and dumplings when you have time to cook--fall is here and God gives it to us. It's okay if we're a little fragile sometimes. He wouldn't have offered us rest if He hadn't known how desperately we need it.



 

3 comments

  1. Thank you for this post. I needed to read it today!

    And you aren't the only one who associates foods with seasons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your last sentence " He wouldn't have offered us rest if He hadn't known how desperately we need it. " Brought tears to my eyes because of it's truth. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm a new Google+ follower, from the Aloha hop! Looking forward to reading more. : )

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!