Baking with Love


There's something wonderful about the yummy flavors of the holidays. I ran to the grocery store today (and by 'ran' I mean drove) and the girl who was bagging up my groceries took a look at all the items and said, "Oh, I wish I were doing some baking too!" Holidays and sweets. They just somehow go together. I love to bake. I love a warm kitchen with gingerbread cookies in the oven, or maybe banana or pumpkin bread. Ash and Linc were born to two parents who love dessert. And they definitely inherited that trait. :) Frosting and white-chocolate chips are two of their favorite things. I don't mind. Family nights spent baking cookies and watching movies are two of my favorite things. I just love the stage of life of my children. It's a time when they are still so excited about everything. We keep seeing previews for a Sofia the First special coming on TV in late November. Ashtyn gets thrilled every time, and we jump up and down and say that we'll be having a family movie night soon. Lincoln is in a new phase of saying, "Look at me, Mommy," all the time. I love it. Tonight, I sang him Jesus Loves Me before laying him down. Then I started to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. He shook his head and said, "No, Mommy, I want Jesus again." Melt. My. Heart.

So if these two little munchkins want Christmas cookies with frosting, this Mom is probably going to deliver. :)

There's just no way around the fact that we associate holidays with foods (and drinks). It's one of the best parts of the season. Certain foods make me think of my family and my own childhood. It will be the same for my children. They'll remember these nights of movies and cookies and playing on the floor together. Certain special foods will bring back memories for them when they've grown.

My aunt's mother-in-law makes the best Christmas cookies ever. Every year during the holiday season, she invites the women of her family (and some friends) to her house and they bake four to five hundred cookies. Can you imagine! It takes them two days. They have it down to an art. I think that's just a beautiful thing. Baking is extra special when there's the love of family and friendship added into the mix.

Does your family have traditions like that? It sounds fun to me!

2 comments

  1. Never tried the spiced pumpkin pecan. Sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter, two of her friends, and I are doing some cooking and baking at one of my friend's houses for another friend. Not sure what we're making, but I do know we'll have a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!