Time Ticking and Setting Goals


2014. Wow. Where has the time gone?

How was your Christmas, loveys? Family, friends, pumpkin pie, presents--all of the above? We've had a wonderful holiday and I feel so blessed. We went to Virginia to see my parents and my sister Laura. So it's been rather a Liberty-style holiday. :) I graduated from Liberty University back in the day, then my sister Sara graduated from Liberty, now Laura is going to LU. So it's kind of a tradition at this point. And Lynchburg still feels like another home to me. I saw friends I care about very much.

It was nice to be back.

Most of all, it was nice to be with family. To walk into my parents' home, all decorated for Christmas. To feel the love and welcome that comes with people who love you so much. To cook with Mom and Laura (and Ash!), to go see the Hobbit with Jeff and Dad and Laura, to see the kids open presents on Christmas morning. It was a wonderful holiday.
And now, the New Year has arrived. Just like that, 2013 is a thing of the past. And a New Year is upon us. We spent the last couple of days driving, so our New Year's Day was spent in pajamas at home. The kids played with their new presents and I took down the Christmas decorations. What do you want from this year, loveys? What are you hoping for, wishing for, praying for? Jeff and I talked about this on our way back from Virginia to Colorado. Lots of things filled our lists--spiritual growth, moving to a new house, incorporating a more healthful diet, potty-training Linc, finishing work projects--so many things to do. The list sometimes feels never-ending, doesn't it? It does for me. But that's life, don't you think? And life is a gift. I lost count of the adorable, funny things the kids said over the course of our Christmas holiday. They were so cute and enjoyed the excitement so much. Those moments where we laugh and chuckle at what they say and do, those times where we just stare and marvel at how beautiful they are--there's just nothing like having children.
 
I'm grateful.

So as we think about 2014--I know a few things for sure. I want to be someone who loves deeply, who gives grace even when it's difficult, who responds well, who is better this year than she was last year. What about you? How do you want to grow as a person this year? People say that resolutions aren't worth much. That people rarely follow through. And I suppose that's true. But it's a starting point, don't you think? A place to dive in. It's a new year. New possibilities. Start fresh. Start over, if you need to. Start period.

My 2014 is beginning with a lot for me to do, I'm just saying. Lots of work projects to juggle. So it's not exactly a stress-less beginning. But sometimes that's the way of things. You dive in regardless. Because the time keeps ticking away. So we set goals. Some we might follow through with, some might fall by the wayside. It's still good to set them. To try.

Christmas was lovely for my family this year. Santa brought gifts for the children and they were delighted. There were squeals with excitement, delicious treats, moments spent with family--the things that make holidays so special. There was also sadness, all of us missing our Mimi. There was concern for my brother-in-law's father who's fighting cancer. Heaviness amid the beauty of the season. Real life.

So we say goodbye to 2013. Who knows what 2014 will bring! Change? Maybe. Growth? We hope so. Love? Yes please. Who do you want to be this year? How do you want to make a difference? Are there things in your life you need to change? Are there things you need to do? Here's your chance. Fresh start.

From my family to yours, Happy New Year, loveys! Let's make it a year to remember. Let's make it a year where we make the changes we need to. A year where we pray and we get better and love people in more real ways. I hope that for me, at the end of 2014, I can see that I've grown as a person. I want to look back and feel that I was a better wife this year. That I was a better mother. That so much was accomplished and that special memories were made that I'll cherish. That maybe I checked off a few bucket list items, and I laughed and I worked hard, and I helped others, and I became a healthier woman--physically, emotionally, and mentally. That I was a good steward of the days God gave me. In other words, that I made good use of my time.

And all those things start today.

Goodbye 2013. Hello 2014. Let's get this party started. :)







1 comment:

  1. You guys got to visit? How fun! We have never been back and I think the entire place has transformed so much, I wonder if we would even recognize it. Great memories though, with wonderful friends. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!