Happy Mother's Day!

It's snowing outside as I type this.

Mother's Day. May. And yet, it's white outside. From my window, I'm watching the snow fall steadily.

That's okay. Spring tends to come and go here in Colorado. It will land eventually, I suppose. So it's Mother's Day, but I don't feel like getting out in this weather. We went to Saturday-night church service so I told Jeff a home day sounded good to me this Mother's Day. I woke up to flowers and cards and Jeff ran to pick up doughnuts (since that's what I wanted for breakfast). Now we're home. I'm watching a Christmas movie (no judging! I told you it's snowing outside!). I just had a cup of coffee and I'm settling in to spend a little time writing.

Right now, I'm thinking of my mother.

There are days where I don't feel like a great mother. I find myself yelling, out of patience, at a loss as to how to get my children to mind (without losing mine in the process!).

And I remember my own mother. I know there were days she felt the same. And the comforting thought to me is that none of us have to be perfect mothers. What I carry with me from my childhood is the love I know my mom had for me. She took care of me when I was sick. She provided for my needs. She protected me from harm. She told me she loved me. I grew up in a safe, loving, happy home. And the older I get, the more I realize that those things make all the difference. Those are the things every child needs. Those are the things I want Ashytn and Lincoln to carry with them from their childhood.

Being a mother is a privilege and a joy. It's also a 24/7 job. I became a mother on August 15, 2008. Even earlier than that, really. My mother heart was growing during all those months when I was pregnant with Ashtyn. But there's nothing quite like holding your baby for the first time and realizing, Everything just changed.

My mother has beautiful, soft hands. I love the feeling of her hands. My mother grew up way down south in Texas. She grew up speaking Spanish at home mostly, and learning English in school. She moved to Houston once she was grown and lived with her sister for a while, my Tia Rosalinda. My mother is beautiful and always has been. A young Houston police officer met her and fell in love with her. The rest is history.


She's a woman of faith. I remember finding her on her knees in prayer early in the mornings more times than I can count. She likes to have fun. My mom has always been a fun-loving girl. She loves people and she can make a friend with anyone who crosses her path. She's strong and capable. She worked as an elementary-school teacher all while I was growing up, and the parents and kids loved her. She took care of our family for all the years my dad worked overseas. She made holidays special. She loved and cared for my dad. She loved and cared for her daughters. She's still loving and caring for all of us. She's got a great smile and a great laugh.

I was reading something the other day about P.L. Travers (the author of Mary Poppins). I think it was her adopted son who said about his mother that she died loving no one and with no one loving her.

How sad. Something went terribly wrong for that to happen.

My mother is loved and adored by her family. I love her with all my heart and I will forever. She comes when I need her. She comforts and offers advice. She loves my own children so much.

On this Mother's Day, I'm blessed to have Blanca Vela Brumble as my mother. She's precious to me and I've learned so much from her. I admire her faith.

Mom, you are so loved.  

Do you know what Ashtyn picked out for me as my Mother's Day gift? Best friend necklaces. She showed them to Jeff and he told her those were for girls who are best friends. Ashtyn told him that she and I are best friends. With a smile, he bought the necklaces and today, Ash and I are wearing our new necklaces.

It's Mother's Day, loveys. Cheers to all the lovely mothers out there. And to every woman who makes a difference in a young girl's life. You are a gift to those around you.




No comments

Post a Comment

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!