The End of an Era . . . Time for a Change

Loveys, I have news.

This post is a little bittersweet for me, to be honest. On the one hand, I am SUPER excited to share with you that my blog has a fresh look. I just felt like it was time for a change. I’ve been writing this blog for five years now. Crazy! I know. I love blogging. It’s been such a fun way for me to write and keep up with everything going on with my family. And it just felt as though maybe the blog needed a little face-lift. Nothing too major, but some fresh changes. I absolutely love the new look. What do you think?

Now to the bittersweet part. We’re talking about change, loveys. You guys know that I’m actually one of those strange people who likes change, to an extent. I do. It keeps things interesting, I suppose. But some changes are harder than others. Before I dive into all the change, let’s chat.

First, let's talk about the fact that I know I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm one of those people who knew what she wanted to do (work with books), and who worked hard and got her degree and was fortunate enough to find a job in the field that she'd dreamed of working in. Did you know I did an internship in book publishing right out of college? I knew by day two that being an editor was the perfect job for me. Authors and books and writing and cover meetings and editing--it felt like happiness to me. Then I got the call that I was being hired to be a real-life editor. And Jeff was able to transfer to the Pepsi plant in Denver and we moved to Colorado and . . . suddenly I was a grown-up person with her dream job.

We're more than ten years down the road, and it's been amazing. I'm so, so thankful. But the truth is that I need a break. So once Lillian arrives, I won't be going back to work any time soon. After much discussion with Jeff, I decided I needed to do this. I think it's important to recognize our limits and to know when we need a little more space to breathe. And I have a feeling I need more than six weeks to adjust to life with three kiddos. Seriously. It's been a hard decision for me, but once I made it, I felt total peace about the whole thing. I just need a break and I want to focus on my kids during this season of our lives. I'm thankful I even have the option! I know lots of moms have to work outside the home, and I know lots of moms just function better when having an outlet like work (I tend to be the latter as well. We'll see how this goes! I think Jeff's a little nervous). Remember my word for this year, loveys? Brave. It's time for me to put that into action.

Once I’ve adjusted to life with three darlings, I’m sure I’ll ease back into freelance editing and such. It’s such a part of who I am. But I’m also really looking forward to writing more. That’s another large part of who I am. The writer in me has words to share. And I can’t wait to spend more time doing that. There are also other projects on my heart. Service and volunteer opportunities and that sort of thing. I want to get involved in areas where I’m really passionate.

So it’s a season of change, loveys. New baby daughter coming soon. I’m stepping back from a career I’ve loved for a decade. This will be my first summer at home with my kids. (Nancy, I will need lots of playdates or I know I will go nuts.)

The plain fact is that sometimes we need a break. Sometimes we need space from our “normal.” Sometimes we need a change in direction. Time to breathe. Time to dream all over again. Time to start something new. Time for quiet cuddles with the newest member of our family. I don’t know about you—but all of that sounds refreshing to me.

Here in Colorado—amid the 9 degrees and falling snow this morning—I’m dreaming of warm summer days. Hot dogs and watermelon in the backyard. Days to come. What are you dreaming of, loveys? What’s your heart longing for? Winter can be long in Colorado, I’m starting to feel desperate for spring. (And desperate for Cadbury eggs.) I’ve got two weeks left with my job and then right after that, Lillian should be making her appearance pretty soon. The end of an era. And a new beginning with beautiful possibilities.

Breathe deep today, loveys. Don’t stress. Wherever you are—deep in snow and dreaming of spring, making snow angels and loving the cold, or somewhere warm and sunny—pay attention to the whispers of your heart. Close your eyes and pray. Throw your hands up and dance. Be brave. It's in you. Let's be brave together. Really, it's in all of us.

7 comments

  1. Beautifully put! I am so proud of you, knowing how hard you worked for this position, how excited you were when you got that internship, and how much you love your job! You are perfect for it, for sure. But I'm also excited for you for this change. I know you'll enjoy it more than you think, and it will definitely be a huge blessing to you and your family. You have now joined "the dark side"! Be careful, cause it can suck you in. 😉 I will be praying extra for you in the coming weeks and months. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Brandy! What a wonderful way to describe that struggle and recognize your limits. If I may, let me encourage you about this transition. Transitions are always hard and even though you face this one with prayer and excitement and the support of Jeff, don't be alarmed if days come where it feels untethered. I found some of those first weeks at home challenging because I no longer knew how to qualify my time. There were no tasks to check off a list, just rotating needs. There is blessing and peace in there too, don't get me wrong. But all change can bring some loss. Love you friend. Enjoy this new season! You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to get to stay at home with your little ones! :) I pray the transition to being at home and a mom of three goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left my career after close to a decade as well. So hard but I don't regret it! Staying at home hasn't been easy either - some days I dream of work haha. But I wouldn't change it! Know your needs and your limits -- its a short, sweet season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm not a MOM yet but I do LOVE your blog posts! :)

    You are indeed blessed by God to know exactly what you wanted to do, pursue it in college and then get your dream job straight out of the gate! :) Happy for you.

    I've taken detours but I too have always known what I wanted to do (I love working with words and books too)! :) God blessed me and gave me confirmation over the years even up to recent days that I'm on the right track. He's just taking me the scenic route, I believe. Every detour had a blessing and I wouldn't change anything.

    So to answer your question, what I'm dreaming about now is to work full time as a creative professional. I work as a freelance writer/proofreader and I love it just need more money. I'm sure you will understand as you move on to become a freelance editor. But then again, you must already have a wide network and professional connections within the publishing industry, so you probably won't struggle with needing more money or at least I hope not. No worries, it's evident by your blog posts that God's got you covered! :) I know God is watching out for me too and I'm hopeful that all of my creative career dreams will come true according to His will.

    I'm learning to trust God's perfect timing for the dreams of my heart. He's definitely blessing me and my loved ones and for that I am forever grateful.

    Here's a verse for your journey - Jeremiah 29:11.

    I will pray for your baby girl's safe delivery and that your transition to being a stay-at-home Mom for now will be smooth and bring you joy and fulfillment too as you work from home as a freelance editor. Flexible schedules are fun and a blessing to your health. Enjoy it! :)

    God bless you and your family, Brandy! You are one of the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexis, I loved this comment. It will happen for you, friend! And I am so encouraged by the verse you shared.

      Delete
  6. it's a beautiful, brave choice to choose spiritual whitespace -- making art in their lives of your children and YOU. as you write and till the soil of your beautiful children and step into your new journey as mother of three -- and nurture your own voice and pour out that voice out in new words - from our own story. you will definitely be working as you edit and shape the lives of your little ones and give love and tenderness to your own. .;) would love to have you join our Thursday Beloved Brews Linkup, as you capture your new story emerging?... :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!