Where We're Going (a Father's Day post)


Loveys, how are you? I hope all the good dads out there have had a wonderful Father's day. We spent the weekend up in the mountains for Jeff's work regional meetings and today was our last day. After an excellent breakfast (with a gorgeous view), we headed home. So our day was spent driving through the Rocky Mountains and it was pretty spectacular. We took the scenic route because on our way up the mountains, we hit craze-inducing traffic and didn't want to go through that again. However, Jeff somehow forgot that I get really car sick when we drive up and down and around and around. This makes for a very unpleasant time. I drove for about twenty minutes before Jeff sweetly let me know that we have to save the brakes a little or they might go out altogether. SO, with that terrifying thought, I got back in the backseat with the kids and let him drive again.

It was a very long day. Still, a good weekend overall. There are always moments when the kids (or the parents) have meltdowns. There are always moments when everyone gets hungry or tired or fussy. That's okay. We're far enough in this to know that you take the fabulous moments with the regular moments, and in the end, it's a picture of your life and you're thankful.

In fact, there was this one particular moment this weekend that I can't stop smiling over. The kids got goody bags at one of the dinners. Linc found a pair of goggles in his bag and begged me to open them. He wore them the rest of the night and again the next morning. That next morning, I was sitting on one of the beds, feeding Lily a bottle and I just looked at my adorable son, wearing his goggles while watching cartoons. And I had a flashback. To a moment in another hotel room, a really long time ago.

Let me share.


I'm smiling again.

So that top picture is of the guy I'd just gotten married to. :) Yep. That's the Jeffster on our honeymoon in Hawaii twelve years ago. I know exactly how I was feeling when I saw that guy, wearing that mask just to make me laugh and because he's adorable. I was a very happy newlywed.

Fast forward more than twelve years later.

I couldn't have known where we'd be. That day in Hawaii, as a young 23-year-old woman, I couldn't have known where we'd end up. I only knew we were off to a good start. I had no idea that one day I'd be sitting in a hotel room up near Aspen, Colorado, feeding my three-month-old, staring at my three-and-a-half year old who's, in that moment, reminding me of that guy I married.

You just never know where the journey will take you.

I'm 35 years old, lovey, looking back at the life of 23-year-old me--wanting to just whisper to that girl, Every moment on the journey is worth it.

Some days are harder than others. Some days are blissfully perfect. And some moments collide in your heart--like the photo above.

It's a busy, full life and I can't say now where we'll be in twelve more years. Who knows but God? I know where I hope we'll be. Taking Ashtyn to college, teaching Lincoln how to drive, getting Lily's ears pierced, holding hands with Jeff and thinking, It goes so fast and it's so beautiful.

We're home now and there are more dishes to wash, bottles to feed, bubbles to play with outside--it's a normal summer day for the Bruce family. My mother-in-law is coming to visit soon and the kids are so excited--things to get ready for. 

There's no way to really know where we'll be down the road. But I know who I want to be, and I know who I want to be with.

That's enough to go on.


No comments

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!