November . . . Good for the Soul

Loveys, how are you? I can't believe it's November. Good grief. Laura's married. Halloween has come and gone. And here we are in November. I'm sitting here with my foot up, having just had surgery a few days ago. It's been a painful few days, but I'm thinking it could have been much worse. It's been rough but manageable, and I'm thankful for that. My mother is here, taking care of all of us. I'm thankful for her. My sister was here tonight, cheering me up and bringing Tea Time magazines and such. Marina dropped off enchiladas for dinner for my family earlier today.

Grateful. Over and over. For people coming in and out of my home. Being part of us. Sharing life with us. Bringing food and flowers and offering friendship and love.

Gosh, it makes all the difference, doesn't it?

I'm pretty immobile at the moment, so I've been on a steady Downton Abbey marathon since coming home from surgery. I'm in season 4 now, which is always an emotional upheaval. But once you start, it's difficult to stop. I feel like I haven't had this much rest since Ashtyn was born. I hardly know how to handle it. I hear the kids everywhere, but I can't get around to help. It's not for too long, and I appreciate the rest, really.

Sometimes, being forced to stop--to be still and quiet--well, I think it can be good for us, but a little difficult. And having people remind you that you're cared for--that's good for the soul. Laughing with Nancy and Jodi while I lay here. Danielle and June insisting on hugging me, despite my protests that I haven't showered. Eating meals that friends have prepared for us. My mom running ragged as she juggles Lily and trick-or-treaters and a million things. Jeff carrying me. Sara bringing goodies and sitting and talking with me.

Good for the soul.

You guys know that I'm part of a supper club. I love it and I highly recommend it. We had supper club just before my surgery. Life happens and things don't always go as planned. We sat around Nicole's beautiful table together, eating pizza and drinking wine and being friends, even when life throws curve balls. Being friends through difficult moments.



Things to be grateful for.

Friendship. Food. Family. Faith. Love. Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.

Good things, you know. :)

Even rest and stillness. Good things.

It's quiet in the house now. I'm thinking of November. It's a month that reminds us to be thankful at every turn. To think of how much we have and consider how much we actually give. To gather together with people and share what we have. I talked to my dad the other day. He's in Haiti at the moment. The poverty he's seeing is heavy on him, I can tell. But in some ways, his perspective is clearer. Knowing how blessed we are. Knowing what matters.

It's November, loveys.

For me, I'll be spending most of the month on the sofa. But even so, slowing down is sort of a gift. Especially during the busiest time of the year. Priorities have had to shift. I have to let people help. More white space on the calendar.

Like I said, good for the soul.




2 comments

  1. HI Brandy!

    I'm praying for a speedy and complete recovery for your foot.

    November is beautiful! I love this month. Not as much as I love May (my birthday month) but November is a close second, for sure! :) I love the wonderful photography opportunities with the changing color of the leaves and scenery. I adore the crisp autumn air and the cool breeze!

    Happy that God blessed you with so many wonderful friendships! True and loyal friends are a blessing from God.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!