Glow


Loveys, so you know I'm a teeny bit obsessed with the Outlander series. Well, a few friends and I got together to discuss book one. I have to tell you, this was my first gathering under my pergola, and I loved every minute. The wind in Colorado is unpredictable, but Friday night was warm and still and the perfect time to sit under glowing lights and talk books. When it comes to book club, it doesn't matter if you're meeting at Starbucks or sitting around someone's living room, the purpose is to come together and discuss what you've read. But I like parties and I'll use any excuse to eat yummy foods and drink wine. It was one of the girls' birthdays, so all the more reason to party.


So after dinner and clean up and getting the kids in pajamas, it was time for a few mamas to breathe easy and talk and laugh. The weather was absolutely perfect for book club outside. So I turned on the lights and set the table. Chocolate and cheese fondue and a few bottles of wine. The Outlander show soundtrack, individual mini-bottles of whiskey for my friends, reader's guide, sitting under the lights until it's dark--and there you have it, Friday night book club. Good stuff.

I'll be honest, I've wanted a pergola for a long time for the exact reason of sitting underneath the glow while talking with girlfriends. There's something magical about combining books and wine and girlfriends, add in twinkle lights and it's just complete happiness. Such a wonderful night. I'm so thankful for the girls who came out for discussion and time together. Outlander is a long book, so it's no small undertaking. When you find something you're excited about, I think you just naturally want to find other people to share it with, someone to talk about the details, someone to join in the excitement. For me, I get passionate about books. That's been true forever, but I think a lot of it started back in middle school when Dana Clark told me about the Christy Miller series. Then I started reading it, and Michelle read it too, and whoever else. Then all my friends were in love with Todd Spencer and obsessed with reading every book in the series. It was something we shared. Which just made it more fun. Like standing in line at midnight to get Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows with all the other crazies.

So Friday night was the kind of night I absolutely love.


As for me, I'm knee-deep in edits for my own book, and I'm just so amazed by the brilliance of my editors. There's something about fresh perspective. I've heard a lot of other authors mention that they actually like the editing process, and I'm one of those. It's time consuming, but I do feel like it makes the story so much stronger. We've got company coming soon, so I need to be a lot closer to finishing my edits than I am. But I'll keep at it and do what I can.

And, maybe, next summer I'll have a few girlfriends sit around the table, under the glow of the lights strung on my pergola, and we'll talk about my book.

Can't wait.

So, the first party of summer was a success. Here's raising a toast to many more, loveys.

No comments

Post a Comment

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!