Pajamas and Clouds


Loveys, it's a super cloudy morning over here in Colorado and I'm one of those people who believes that staying in pajamas on cloudy days is the most logical thing to do. It's been a good week. My sweet mother-in-law has been out here visiting us. We've loved having here here. Now she's flying home this morning and I've just dropped the kids off at school. It looks like it will be a very lazy morning for me and Miss Lily. Which is maybe just what I need. An extra cup of coffee and a little Food Network watching (while Lily climbs onto the laptop or unplugs it every other minute). We're just about halfway through September. I had a great birthday loveys. I crossed over into the land of 37 to gifts and cake and time with friends and it was really nice. (Isn't that cake gorgeous? It looked like something out of a Jane Austen movie. Thank you, June. Love you.)


 Now we've got only got the Jeffster's birthday left. Which is the main one since the boy turns 40 this year and it needs to be epic. It's going to be fun, loveys. Be prepared for pictures. I'm channeling the 90s and it's going to be a good time. I can't wait! I was actually at Goodwill yesterday picking up a few goodies that are going to be magically turned into fun decorations. I love this kind of stuff. So the countdown is on and you'll get a full recap with lots of ideas to share.

Loveys, for real, I've been rebelling against fall. I just haven't felt ready to put up fall decor and let go of summer. We've still had very hot days and there's green everywhere and I just want to hold on for as long as I can. But there was a nip in the air this week that felt very much like fall. And this morning, I lit my candy corn candle that Sara gave me. (I freely admit we've already been eating candy corn at my house like it's going out of style.) It's just about here and with it comes some change--now that I know I am ready for. You might have noticed the new look to the blog, I've just been wanting change lately. Some of my birthday treats ended up being gift cards, which inspired me to mix up my bedroom a little. A few new pictures. Switch out my comforter for one I haven't used in a while. Buy a couple new pillows. Nothing earth-shattering, but it definitely gives the room a different look, and that tends to breathe new life into spaces.

I like new life into old spaces. Sometimes we really need change. And I confess I love the smell of fall. Pumpkins and spices and apple crisp. It's right around the corner and it's drawing me in. (Please someone make me some zucchini bread!)

Time goes fast. It seems like just a minute ago, Jeff was 22 and we were meeting in the alleyway between our jobs (romantic, I know. Not really). We turn around and he's on the brink of 40, with our three kids barreling through the house and toys everywhere. Leftovers in the fridge and dishes in the sink.

Good days. Long days. Moments that smell like cinnamon and sugar. The sounds of leaves swirling or rain falling. Ashtyn and I have just started reading Harry Potter together at bedtime. For this reader girl's heart, those are memories I'll hold on to forever. My goal this fall is to have a positive spirit. There's a lot of negativity everywhere. Complaints all around us. Not enough. Too much excess. Opinions on everything. You can't click on a webpage without seeing another opinion article from everything to cupcakes at school parties to a response to how someone looked at someone's kid at the park.

Some days I'll click on those links, many days I'm not really interested.

For this wonderful fall season, I think I want to focus on joy and contentment and being positive at the Bruce house. I know that can be challenging in an election season. The other day on the way to school, Ash was talking about the people running for president (I think they'd been talking about it at school that week). She and Linc know who we're voting for and they seem very excited about the "race." Which is great. It's part of our country's process. But I reminded them that we can pray for both candidates, and whomever wins, we believe in Jesus above all. It helps to remind myself too. Life will go on regardless and we'll celebrate Thanksgiving and have turkey, and get ready for Santa, and do homework and go to work and be thankful for the blessings of this amazing country.

I'm grateful for that.

I'm taking today off, lovey. It's a pajama and no-makeup kind of day. Pioneer Woman is calling my name. We've got lots of leftover pot roast so there's no need to cook. Clean-up begins tomorrow. I'm working on a super-exciting book project with my sister (more to come on that later--I can't wait to share with you!), and it's perfect reading for fall. Birthdays, fall teas, book launches, Halloween (I went to the library this week and there were so many cute Halloween picture books and cartoon movies on display! Fun!)--I'll take a breath and begin again tomorrow.

What are you looking forward to this fall, lovey? Are you diving in or holding on to summer just a bit longer?    

No comments

Post a Comment

Tell me about it! I love hearing from you!